Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • La Vuelta stage 4 – Betanzos / San Andrés de Teixido
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Nothing from lunge yet so figured I’d chip in (thanks to inrng for content!)

The Route: 163km and 3,295m of vertical gain. Two early categorised climbs offer rewards to a breakaway hoping to take mountain points and the route changes direction several times in the day to leave the route exposed to the wind.

The Contenders: Alejandro Valverde was among the best yesterday and the uphill finish here suits him and his sprint, if he can arrive in a small group then he’s likely to be the fastest especially as he’s supported by a strong Movistar team. Ruben Fernandez won’t have so much room for manoeuvre but had the jump on everyone yesterday and Nairo Quintana can try his chances with a late move. Chris Froome is climbing well, he can’t pace himself like yesterday or at least he has to be with the leaders in the final kilometre. Esteban Chaves is looking lively and it’ll be interesting to see if Simon Yates can hang on here. Among the others Gianluca Brambilla looks strong. Finally Contador was down yesterday but is he out of the race? Watch him today because he can’t afford to lose any more time.

After this stage I think we go into a bunch of mid-mountain ones so I’d assume most of the GC will just want to make sure they don’t lose time on rivals.

And from yesterday…

Sponsors won’t be happy!

Good pain face! Contador says it’s not over yet.

mrblobby
    Free Member

33k to go. Everyone taking it easy today. Looks like it might be a day for the break with 5 mins in hand.

anagallis_arvensis

Having to wait till tonight to watch!!!

mtbfix

Bah! to spoilers.

Yesterday’s stage was typical Vuelta madness. Hundred miles of flat before that crazy climb.

senorj

The scenery for the last two days has been stunning . When I have a spare 10 minutes at work I’ll find out exactly where. The beach /nature reserve 15k from the end today looked stunning .

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Has this been any better than the TDF snooze fest?

I have only caught a bit of the racing (yesterday) and it looked like Movistar had the impetuous.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Early days David.

There’s a few big names there which I think will probably make it more of a controlled race. Gone are the days when the Vuelta was a bonkers race of juiced up locals from small Spanish teams taking on the occasional big name who’d be made to ride by his team as penance for a poor season, all cheered on by a crazy partisan crowd who’d happily take out a non Spanish rider. Bit of a shame really 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not seen that, a really good article.

It’s funny to read the bickering on forums about how it’s all speculation and that nothing’s been proven, then read something like this…

John Hoberman, a University of Texas professor and sports-doping historian, calls current anti-doping measures “a charade.” Former WADA chief Dick Pound has told reporters that he questions “everything I see” in sports, from cycling to tennis. BALCO mastermind Victor Conte told VICE Sports that he thinks the number of track and field athletes using PEDs in Rio will be about the same as at the 2004 Athens Games; meanwhile, World Swimming Coaches Association head John Leonard has said that the upcoming Games will be a “nightmare of doping,” with more use among athletes in his sport than ever before.

Caitlin [ran drugs testing program for IOC for years] used to enjoy following the Olympics. Not anymore. “I lost my taste,” he says. “I saw everybody that doped.”

I’ve no doubt it’s still rife. Was referring more to the days when there was no testing at all at the Vuelta and pretty much anything you like was available from over the counter Spanish pharmacies, it’s not quite as ridiculous now as it was back then 🙂

I do wonder if it’s possible to have a discussion about sporting performances these days without talking about doping (started this one about Cancellara yesterday)?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘La Vuelta stage 4 – Betanzos / San Andrés de Teixido’ is closed to new replies.