Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • La Vuelta stage 15 – Sabiñánigo / Sallent de Gállego. Aramón Formigal
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

A good stage yesterday. Movistar did well to get Moreno in the break and from that point on sat back and let Sky do all the work. He even took the virtual race lead at one point. It all kicked off on the last climb. Gesink initially missing the winning move but putting in a big effort to bridge over and hanging on for the win. Was a bit surprised to read that this was his first stage win in a grand tour, he’s been close on many an occasion.

Simon Yates went early on the climb with a classic relay move by OBE with 3 men up the road to help pace him and looked like he may have even been on for the stage win at one point. OBE now in 3rd and 4th on GC with Chaves and Yates. A team usually more associated with one day and stage wins now seem to be morphing into a pretty decent GC team with Chaves and the Yates brothers.

Quintana set about attacking Froome but just couldn’t shake him. Quintana later saying he had good legs and gave it everything they had but just couldn’t put any time into Froome. The balance does seem to be tipping in Froome’s favour as the summit finishes are ticked off and the ITT gets ever closer.

Today’s stage is a short one and brings another summit finish…

I’ll let inrng do the preview as I’m a bit short on time…

The Route: 2650m of vertical gain, less than some of the “sprint” stages so far but this is a mountain stage condensed into just 118km and much if it on a succession of twisting roads where the gradient keeps changing. The opening climb of the Alto de Petralba is notionally the steepest of the day, 5% for 6km and a steady climb up the valley. The second half is a clone – a repeated theme of this race – of a stage of the past, this time Stage 16 from 2013 when Warren Barguil took his second stage of the race, out-playing Rigoberto Uran on the final slopes. They repeat the Alto de Cotefablo, 12km at 4%.

The Finish: 14km at 4%. But the road rises and falls as it passes through villages and bends around pastures, a challenging climb not for its severity but for the constant changes in slope.

The Contenders: this promises to be a lively and explosive stage, the short distance incentives those who’ve saved energy to expend it today right from the start.

It’s a good day for a breakaway. If persistence brings rewards then Ben Hermans (BMC Racing) is due a stage win, the Belgian is a powerful rider who can excel on hilly mid-mountain courses. FDJ’s Alex Geniez is a pick too, he’s won stages like this and the reduced gradients suit while Geniez’s future team mate at Ag2r La Mondiale Pierre Latour is quietly riding a solid Vuelta and can turn on the power for a finish like this, it’s said he’s better suited to gentler climbs.

Chris Froome and Nairo Quintana are safe picks but the finish might not be hard enough for them. Gianluca Brambilla is climbing well and Alejandro Valverde might dust himself off after yesterday’s minor collapse.

Think it’ll be tough from the gun today on such a short stage with riders warming up on the turbos before they head to the start and a real scrap to get into the break. Should be a good one.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks as always mrblobby. Looking forward to today’s stage.

beej

I predict no real GC changes and another winner from the break. Cannondale?

slowoldman

I hope “Orica Bike Edge” have another dig today.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I think you’ll find it’s pronounced “ulrika”. 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Indeed, the team formerly known as Ulrika Green Hedge. Got to love Kelly. There was an Alex Andrew Valverde racing the other day. It’ll be a shame when Whack ’em Rodriguez finally retires too 🙂

Blimey, action from the gun today. Looks like Froome caught out too and having to chase. Contador and Quintana pressing on.

bob_summers

Good work from Movistar so far. Froome almost isolated, Quintana two mins up the road, going to be a tense couple of hours for Sky. Mr Blobby your prediction of Movistar resting Valverde for today seems to be working out, some vicious accelerations to spit half of Sky out the back of the group!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

reckon this might come back together

bob_summers

You might be right, looks like neither cannondale nor astana have anyone in the break.

anagallis_arvensis

Kinnel!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

hmmmm gone out to 3 minutes, lots of climbing to go though

bob_summers

A lot of quality in that break though, I wouldn’t like to closing the gap!

Hadn’t spotted the two Cdale guys in there earlier.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Think it’s all over for Froome. What a way to lose it. I didn’t see the start but I wonder how much Movistar had to do with it. Sounded more like Contador catching Sky napping and Quintana just about being in the right place when it kicked off.

Someone tweeting earlier a reminder that Contador has never lost a Vuelta he’s raced.

beej

Gap down to 1:51.

Astana and OBE joining the chase.

Pretty poor tactically by Sky though, caught napping at the start.

bob_summers

Gap’s down a minute, but Froome running out of OBE teammates

bob_summers

Cross post!

mrblobby
    Free Member

He’ll do well to keep it under 2 mins on the last climb. He’s had to do a lot of work already. Quintana’s been getting a fairly easy ride and will certainly push on when he gets to the last climb.

Edit… back up to well over 2 mins now. Can see him being a good 5 mins back at the finish.

bob_summers

The grupeto is 25m back, according to Spanish TV 😯

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pretty much the whole sky team other than Froome in that grupetto I think!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

if they all popped off the back and couldn’t get back on then course they are just going to sit in the back

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well yes. Still incredible that he’s been totally isolated. Movistar’s move yesterday taken it’s toll?

I wonder if Quintana will be minded to do a deal with Contador give this was his doing. Probably not if it’s going to lose him seconds.

beej

Well, there you go. Another cracking stage. Lots of racing left though.

I quite like to see Sky on the back foot, let’s see if they can engineer something when they aren’t leading a race.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Still a bit shocked by that. There’ll be some grim faces round the sky dinner table tonight (once they’ve finally crossed the finish line!)

theotherjonv

Dinner for Froome. It’ll be cold cuts supper for the rest by the time they’re back.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Some 90 riders missed the time cut today apparently.

nbt

Bloody fantastic race today, in fact overall I think the Vuelta has been a better race than the the TDF.

Junkyard
    Free Member

This has been a very very interesting race with some interesting twist and turns
    I dont think it is over just yet but Nairo is in the driving seat now

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I reckon konig is going to be told in no uncertain terms to make sure he gets in the break on the next 2 mtn stages as Froome’s pretty much going to have to go all in.

ferrals
    Free Member

Just watched highlights. Missed the first bit but seems like Sky were on the back foot from the off? Going to be an interesting rest of the race seeing if Froome can claw it back.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘La Vuelta stage 15 – Sabiñánigo / Sallent de Gállego. Aramón Formigal’ is closed to new replies.