Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • La Marmotte route – anyone ridden it?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Planning this at some point in the next few weeks. 108 miles with 5000+m climbing sounds like a big day out. Cols du Glandon/Telegraphe/Galibier and finishing on the Alpe…

Has anyone done this unsupported? How is it for water/food stops etc?

I’m probably not quite fit enough right now but 2/3 weeks of cols in the Dolomites should get me ready for the suffering.

Any thoughts?

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Its fun!

But that was back in the 80’s when I was a 10 stone race whippet 😉

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Yes – it’s a great route. You go through plenty villages and there is no shortage of places to stock up on supplies.

aP
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a big day.
    You’ll go through enough villages to be able to pick up some liquids and foods.
    Have fun in the tunnels……

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Tunnels on descent from Col du Lauteret?

I’ve driven through them a few years back but don’t remember much about them. Long, dark and busy by any chance?

onehundredthidiot

Early start, seriously early. The day will be long enough. Galibier is tough by the time you get there but great all the way to the alpe. Plenty of water, take two bottles one plain water one with tab of your choice.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Ive ridden it twice ‘on the day’

First time was man vs Marmotte and I didnt see much on the way
    Second was a photo and coffee fest

Each was enjoyable for different reasons

You dont need support to ride the route
    Set off at 8AM and stop regularly to fill your water bottles in village shops

You will get to the other side of the Glandon for coffees and cakes and then chop the big climb at Valloire around lunchtime where there are plenty of places to stock up on carbs and cokes

Enjoy, and take lots of pics – not something I did first time round

pirahna
    Free Member

Take a small rear light and a micro front light for the tunnels. The police will prevent you using the tunnels if you’re unlucky enough to be caught and if you’ve gone the conventional way round it’s a long way back. It can be a sunny 25 on top of the Telegraph and 5 degrees and pissing down on the Galibier, I know this from experience.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Start early.

The heat of the day in the valley floor between glandon and telegraphe is murder.

We had to have a siesta before climbing the telegraphe due ti the heat. Garmin was saying 42 deg.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘La Marmotte route – anyone ridden it?’ is closed to new replies.