• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by siwal.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • L or XL Genesis Croix de Fer owners – sizing?
  • ElShalimo

I’ve been looking at the 2016 CdF10 in that nice gold/orange colour but am between trying to decide on the size as I am between L and XL.
    I’m 6ft 1.5in, 34in seam and longish arms
    What size are you and what size do you ride?
    thanks

Also, has anyone ridden both the CdF and the CdA and preferred the CdA?

ampthill

My memory from shopping in October was that they were out of XL back then. I think even a L will be hard to find

I ended up on a Arkose. All my test riding suggested no real difference between AL and sub £1000 steel, other than steel costing and weighing more. Sorry luddite content. The Arkose was Tiagra and Spyres for £720 (down from £800). The CDA which I never road is Promax brakes that don’t seem well regarded

I’d say it is well worth riding some bikes to get a feel for fit. I bought a Pinnacle in part as it was easy to get a good test ride

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and got the medium CdF in Colonel Mustard colour. I’m probably at the upper end for the medium but it rides fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ElShalimo

thanks

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m 6’2″, with 36″ legs, i have a 60cm cdf.

even with my stupid long legs the 60 is a bit of a gate, and i wouldn’t want the saddle/seatpost any lower in the frame.

imho, i’d suggest the 58, and a stem to suit.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I have a Day One, which has the same geometry give or take 1mm in the top tube….
    I’m a shade under 6’1″ and on a medium, with a longer stem, this felt a little more comfortable for me as a commuter/child carrier than the large with the longer stem. For you, I’d definitely go Large.

GHill

I ride the 60 cm version and I’m a smidge over 6’4. As above, I’d suggest the 58 cm (although my CdF is the 2014 model, maybe different geometry).

Last time I looked the CdA’s were really different to the CdF, more of a road+ type of bike.

ElShalimo

thanks, that’s really helpful info
    Now I need to find a size L to try out

highlandman
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” on a size L, 33 inside leg and using it with a slight layback post, flat bars and a relatively short 90mm stem.

drovercycles
    Free Member

You’re smack in the middle of the two sizes I’d say OP, and could almost certainly get a good fit on either. I’m a smidgen taller than you and can happily ride either a L or an XL, probably with a slight preference for an XL.

We have an XL in stock if it’s of any use. Fork was damaged in transit so will be supplied with a carbon fork instead of the specced steel one.

rob13
    Free Member

I’m 5’8, and i’m also looking at which size Croix De Fer to buy. I’ve tried both small and medium but only a short ride and genuinely cant decide which one is best.
    BB to top of seat is 730mm for me, reach between small and medium looks about 10mm difference? Medium obviously a higher head tube, but small less reach? Any other vertically challenged riders be able to comment? I’m looking at getting a 30 so not sure if those huge hydraulic hoods will make a difference.

ampthill

I’m looking at getting a 30 so not sure if those huge hydraulic hoods will make a difference.

A bike fitter in here said these add about 10mm effective reach and that in the end Giant shortened the bikes to allow for this

If you paying full retail some one might swap the stem for test rise

Bream
    Free Member

I’m about the same sizing as you OP, have a size L CdF and it’s spot on.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’m your height O.P. Long arms too.

I start with a 57.5cm top tube for racey road feel but 56.5cm top tube for a touring feel.

Also depends on the bike and if you have a gut/flexible.

Genesis use a longer tube for large but make up for it with a shorter 100mm stem instead of 120mm to make it a large instead of XL.

I hope you can try it first. Personally I would get the next size down and use a 120mm stem but then it would defeat Genesis’s setup.

The XL would be too big imho.

robster1
    Free Member

I have to make that same decision with these measurements:
    Inseam: 92
    Trunk: 68
    Forearm: 39
    Arm: 73
    Knee: 67cm
    L. Left: 63/64
    Sternel: 159cm
    Height: 192cm

Thing is, as far as I understand a cyclocross has to be a little more agile than a race bike and with that mostly a little smaller than one.

I ride a 61cm sized road bike with a 59 to 60cm top tube. I feel comfy on it but I am aware that it’s a sportive long distance machine.

So according to Evans (https://static.evanscycles.com/production/pdf-media/sizing-table/Croix_De_Fer_2017_Geometry_Chart.pdf) the CdF model of 2017 has a good frame size of 58cm. That would fit me considering the frame has a little bit of a sloping geometry. The top tube length of 60,5cm is what concerns me a bit, as it’s quite long. Of course I could compensate with a shorter stem, but all in all I am not sure if a XL is just right, or a little too big.

What would you guys recommend to me regarding my measurements. Going with a XL or considering the smaller L version, that has a 55cm frame size, which really sounds small. Although the top tube length of the L (58cm) sounds ok.

Any help is highly appreciated.

robster

siwal
    Free Member

Hi robster

I went on a test ride with a 2017 CdF 20 XL version.
    Height: 191cm
    Inner leg length: 90cm (at least, not that easy to measure)

I really liked the XL version. I plan to buy one, but currently don’t have the budget.

I will use it for commuting and short rides, mainly in the city. It really felt very agile, which is important for me, because I have to navigate through traffic. I did not have the impression that it is too big. For long distance rides and touring, it could even be a little bit too small. But, I guess even for these use cases it is okay. But the L version is for sure not an option for me and I guess also for you the XL version is most probably the correct choice.

siwal

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘L or XL Genesis Croix de Fer owners – sizing?’ is closed to new replies.