• This topic has 27 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • KTM RC390
  • iolo
    Free Member

Mrs iolo is looking for a motorbike and the RC390 has caught her eye.
    The reviews are mainly positive.
    Has anyone got one?
    Is it practical for city use with the occasional blast to the Alps? We live in Vienna so 30 minutes takes her to some great mountain roads.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I have a feeling Weeksy on here bought one earlier this year.

allthegear
    Free Member

Is this the little KTM that there’s actually a race series for? If so, someone in our club races it and LOVES it. He was riding it last time we were all out and seemed to be having no trouble keeping up.

Rachel

iolo
    Free Member

It’s this one.

survivor

Look great fun. I’d have one but I’d look like I stole it from a child!

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah yes – he had a 390 Duke which is basically the “naked” version.

Like the look of that – Mrs Iolo will have a lot of fun!! 🙂

Rachel
    (who has a test ride booked on a BMW S1000XR n 1st December – excited!!)

chojin
    Free Member

S1000XR – you’ll love it!

Bahnstormer per chance?

allthegear
    Free Member

No – my current bike was from Bahnstormer but it’s a bit far to travel! I’ve found balderston’s in Peterborough to be very good. They’re also doing the 18k service on my f800gsa.

Rachel

weeksy

I did indeed have a 390 duke cracking little bike.

I recently swapped for a 690 duke.

A guy on an RC390 came past me mid corner at Silverstone like I’d stalled when I was on my 848, he then promptly disappeared into the distance.

I found the RC quite harsh on the seat etc, hence going for the duke.

No problems or issues.

Please get a 15 model with slipper clutch, its better.

allthegear
    Free Member

What actually is a “slipper clutch”? I keep hearing people mention it.

I can’t see how the clutch on my bike is any different to a car?

Rachel

hammyuk
    Free Member

Think of it as a “back torque limiter” Rachel. (which is its correct term)
    Basically when you come barrelling down into a corner – you drop 1,2,3 gears, etc and the rear wheel locks up because the wheel speed is greater than the engine/gearbox speed…
    A slipper clutch stops that happening due to a series of ramps and balls that slip over each other thus preventing the rear wheel from locking up. This all sits behind the clutch basket and basically pushes the clutch plates apart allowing them to slip. In car terms its like pressing the clutch pedal a little letting it slip.
    This way the only dark black line you’ll be leaving is from where you exit the corner – not enter it.
    We won’t mention the big crease in the seat from where you arse bit it though…

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah right. I learn something new every day!

I know the XR will blip the throttle on clutchless downshifts automatically so I presume it’s less of a concern.

Rachel

hammyuk
    Free Member

XR has a slipper clutch too 😉
    The Blip is to take the load of the gearbox for clutchless downshifts – helps to match cog speeds internally so as not to smash the gears together when they mesh.

smokey_jo

Duke owner here, great fun in the twisties not much fun on the straight bits. Comfy enough for two hours at a time.

No problems other than a lose side stand bolt.

iolo
    Free Member

Mrs iolo’s not long passed her test. Is this possibly too much of a bike for her or will she be ok?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Get her to test ride one iolo- only way to tell in all honesty.
    Tiny, weigh **** all, etc – the body position will be what makes or breaks it

chojin
    Free Member

Personally I’m done with sports bikes – can’t stand the riding position

It’s an armchair comfy R1200GS for me all the way now. (Bringing down the average age of a GS rider considerably!)

allthegear
    Free Member

My f800gsa was my first bike. I’m sure Mrs Iolo will be fine!

Rachel

weeksy

iolo – Member

Mrs iolo’s not long passed her test. Is this possibly too much of a bike for her or will she be ok?

It’s a very user friendly bike is the 390. Does nothing you don’t want it to. The only real weakness is the pads. Swap the front pads for a set of Brembo SA pads and you’re good to do.

smokey_jo

I’d been off bikes for quite a number of years before getting the duke. It was the easiest bike to ride I’ve ever had. Power delivery is gentle but still usable low down and only really gets going after 7k revs. Brakes even on standard pads are strong but do lack a bit of feel which the brembo pads are supposed to sort.

Tyres give lots of grip and feedback. Controls are backlit to make setting them easier at night- very novice friendly. Seat height is short arse friendly on the duke too.

grunty
    Free Member

S1000XR is a hoot! Test rode one about a week after the launch. I had sore forearms the following day from hanging on. ;o)

Going to get a couple more years out of my GSA before I go for one of those

Pigface
    Free Member

Physically they are tiny.

weeksy

Pigface – Member

Physically they are tiny.

Weirdly though they don’t feel cramped when on them or riding… but I admit I must have looked ridiculous on mine.

hammyuk
    Free Member

You looked ridiculous on the Gixer Weeksy 😆

weeksy

So what happened then ?

iolo
    Free Member

We’re going to see this next Saturday. She can have it for the weekend. Lets hope it doesn’t snow.

weeksy

A I said earlier mate, find out if it’s the 15 model slipper clutch version.

iolo
    Free Member

Will do. Hopefully she’ll like it so I can steal it now and again.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘KTM RC390’ is closed to new replies.