Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • KS LEV, scratches after one season
  • razorjack
    Free Member

I have a KS LEV for a while,
    after one season i have scratches on it (looks like scratches from internal ‘barrels’ below bushing).
    Does anybody had such problem? scratches can be felt under finger/tip.
    Should i make a warrant claim ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Had both of mine a couple of years. Can’t see any reason why the sprag bearing should have done that. Definitely worth asking the guys at stif/jungle what they think.

euans2
    Free Member

That’s like a warranty claim to me, my old Lev had its first set of scratches after 1 ride.

hora
    Free Member

I had scratches after the first ride. Superstar offered to upgrade FOC.

My latest KS is bombproof…well apart from the seatbolt

nach
    Free Member

I serviced mine last week, it has the same scratches but on a part of the stanchion that’s still hidden when it’s up. They correspond to the roller bearing inside. I’m wondering the same as you.

Northwind

The early KS posts used to do that quite a lot- never did find out why, some folks reckoned it was bushing play letting the roller bearing fret away at the post. Should be a warranty job though if it’s still within, imo.

duir
    Free Member

Could that possibly be an over tightened seat clamp? 5-6nm max if memory serves and friction paste to stop slippage.

Had mine for 12 months of hard use. Just self serviced and it was mark free and just a tiny bit of dirt to wipe away.

You may find Jungle resistant to warranty if it doesn’t appear to have been self serviced a bit.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Did you manage to make a claim on this or get any info on how it happened?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lev has 3 barrels so that won’t be them look to close together.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It is the right spacing for the rollers in the sprag bearing though. I believe these are the barrels people are talking about.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Mine gets black marks corresponding with those, although they clean off and aren’t scratches. I spoke to Jungle and they said they have put this to KS before for warranty and KS refuse it saying it’s due to excess tightening. I explained I’d used a calibrated torque wrench and had 100% not exceeded the stated torque, but that, apparently, was KS’s position and they weren’t budging.

swanny853

OH had this after about 9 months, sent it off, got a new one under warranty- that’s what I would be doing

Onzadog
    Free Member

Interesting position to take as its clearly caused by the sprag bearing but the spray bearing is a good distance from the clamped section of the post.

If you could clamp tight enough to affect that, I doubt you’d get any movement at all. I suspect it’s the top bushing starting to wear and allowing fretting. I’m not so sure the sprag does that much, no other dropper uses one. Maybe they should use that space for a more substantial bushing and look at the brass key tolerance for rotational control.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘KS LEV, scratches after one season’ is closed to new replies.