Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ks lev internal kevlar(?) string
  • lerk
    Free Member

Being well used to the trials and tribulations of dropper posts and repairing them when they inevitably go wrong, I’m looking to fill my spares box before my new Lev breaks.

Looking at the design, the only thing I’m planning on keeping on stock other than gear cable that is already in there, is a spare Kevlar string that runs down through the post.

Has anyone replaced this DIY?
    Did you buy direct from ks as a spare part or improvise? I may be tempted to just buy a meter of cord from another supplier, although this will mean taking the post apart to measure the diameter.

Any words about your string replacement experiences gratefully received!

JoeG
    Free Member

You’ll need the barrel nuts (or whatever they are called) that go on the ends of the kevlar cable as well.

I’ve got one coming from KS under warranty. The string in my Lev is a little too long (it has some slack in it), so the hydraulic valve won’t open completely. This means that I can’t compress the post very fast, and it extends slower as well.

I took the bottom cap off, loosened the set screw that holds the barrel nut, and tried to remove the slack from the string. It wouldn’t budge. There is some sort of plastic bit under the set screw that holds the line in place, so it looks like you need new hardware each time.

Service video here that shows how to replace it.

rc200f8
    Free Member

Replaced mine with 0.5mm braid fishing line, I managed to reuse the barrels

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

I got mine from jungleproducts.co.uk they’re the new importers. They carry all the spares and will sell to you direct. They postage is first class sign for so is a bit over the top but they are pretty quick and seem to know what they’re talking about. The cable was £2 and £2 postage and came next day. It comes without the barrel adjusters but you can reuse them, it’s just a bit fiddly.

JoeG
    Free Member

For those of you that were able to reuse the barrel nuts, how did you do that? Once I removed the set screw, mine stuck to the kevlar line and wouldn’t budge!

lerk
    Free Member

Rc200f – that’s the sort of info I’m looking for, does the 0.5mm fit well in the barrels? From what I could see of the original it looked a tad bigger than 0.5mm…

JoeG – also hoping you got a dodgy set and they should be reusable!

I might just get in touch with jungle if they are that easy to source and that ‘relatively’ cheap.
    I will definitely be looking into an alternative source though, as I’m the group spanner monkey for dropper repairs!

miggy
    Free Member

+1 for bought some fishing line and used it for the internal cable, getting spares in the uk is a bit slow went to discount for other non bodgeable items

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ks lev internal kevlar(?) string’ is closed to new replies.