Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kryptonite Lock – lost the keys :(
  • Alex

No idea how. Went on hols, locked the bikes up with about 8 locks, came back to 7 keys. On the upside, it’s only my road bike 😉 Searched high and low for the keys, no joy. Can’t get new keys as I never registered the lock (and it’s about 10 years old at least).

I’m assuming the only option is an angle grinder and some care not to angle grind the carbon frame! Anyone tried this or any other options?

bencooper
    Free Member

Tubular lock? They’re easy to pick with the right gadget (or even a biro if you’re lucky).

Otherwise yes, angle grinder.

Alex

Similar to those. It’s pretty old. I think I had a replacement for one of my other locks about the same age but never bothered with this one. Biro you say, I’m sure youtube will help me here!

falkirk-mark

The frame would be easier to cut through (it’s only a road bike)

takisawa2

Park it up in town, & watch from a safe distance.
    Some helpful scrote will come along & open it for you.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Guaranteed you angle grind it and find the keys the same day.

simondbarnes

Just get a new road bike to tide you over until you find the keys.

Alex

I don’t really use the one I have. I just thought it might be useful to find a way to unlock it if I ever do 😉

spooky_b329

Did you hide that particular key behind the marmite? Wife’s keyring/glovebox (tick). Or have you got a long forgotten spare stashed in a saddlebag/camelbac? (tick) Or even the little key number tag stashed in that jar of random keys you’ve collected over the years?!

If its the old style round barrel lock then try the biro trick, if its the newer style key in the picture then your probably stuffed.

I’ve even found my temporarily lost keys balanced on the saddle of the bike I locked up, and under the tyre of said locked bike 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, those newer ones are pickable but it’s a lot harder than the old tubular key type.

It’ll have to be an angle grinder I’m afraid…

sillyoldman

Too late for the OP, but many Kryptonite locks qualify for their Key Safe Programme. Register your lock, and if you lose the keys, they’ll send you a replacement FOC wherever you are.

chestrockwell

Can you move the bike? If so and if you can prove it’s your bike the lads + lasses at your local Fire Station might pop it off if you wave a box of chocolate at them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kryptonite Lock – lost the keys :(’ is closed to new replies.