• This topic has 30 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Del.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Krampus, Ogre, Longitude, any thing else?
  • ton

gonna buy a bike that i can do a bit of local trails on, what is also good for offroad touring.

anyone got either or any of the above.
    they all look suitable.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Stooge? (Krampus owner)

ton

far too small.

Bregante

ECR?

Good article here.
    http://www.pedalingnowhere.com/gear/surly-krampus-vs-ecr/

But of course, you should have kept the karate monkey and stuck some 50mm rims on it

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

El Mariachi here. Great bike.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Salsa Fargo…..or flat bar karate monkey

Nipper99
    Free Member

Swift

fin25
    Free Member

I have a longitude, bloody brilliant. Good luck getting one though, they’ve sold out I think and word is next years will be 650b+. If I had the money right now I’d probably get a krampus.
    Although the pugsley can take 29 wheels… 8)

Naranjada
    Free Member

Bit spendy, but the Jones Plus looks nice.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

far too small.

“checks spreadsheet of forum members heights”

Pickers

Ogre here, chuffed with it. Toured 600+ miles round Scotland on it last year, on and off road. Comfy.

MussEd
    Free Member

I’ve got a Krampus, which I’ve been using the same way as you describe…love it. I’d love that Enduro you’re selling but decided to give no frills no suspension thing a go, and the Krampus as my only MTB is giving me smiles for miles. Highly recommended.

1-shed
    Free Member

Just got a Krampus and loving it. Picked up a good quality second hand one for £800. Very forgiving ride with loads of grip but can get a little squirrely in mud. The bike makes me smile.

johnnystorm

On one Lurcher. I’ve done a Welsh coast to coast on it without problems. Plenty comfortable enough.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Krampus.

Love mine.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Jones Plus, or a Ti Jones Spaceframe.

T1000
    Free Member

Rooster (it looks like its going to finally appear)

shermer75
    Free Member

I have a Troll (the Ogre’s 26″ baby brother) and it’s pretty hard to beat. It’s comfortable, well put together and insanely versatile. There doesn’t seem to be much that you can’t do with it- mountain biking, touring, commuting, shopping, even ‘just going out for a ride because it’s sunny’-ing. That said the main reason I didn’t get an Ogre was that they weren’t available at the time.

RichT

Karate monkey?
    Can be found more easily second hand. Better as a trail bike than an Ogre and fine for all but the heaviest touring.

kuman
    Free Member

Krampus – love mine, best bike I have ever had.

brant
    Free Member

Tony – drop me a line (new email in profile, since I left on-one), if you want something a bit specialer and custom.

ajantom

Seconded (or thirded?) on the Krampus. Great bikes, very versatile, and really fun to ride.

First build – flat barred and geared.

Single-speed hooligan:

Alfine geared, frame-bagged all day rider:

thetallman
    Free Member

Ogres are awesome! I liked mine so much that I got a spare 🙂

jameso

Niner ROS, pricey tho

BillOddie

Krampus or Karate Monkey!

I have both! I love them both dearly but I love the Krampus just a little bit more.

Both are super versatile and would do what you describe ably.
    You should also consider the ECR and Ogre but the geo and tube profiles are a bit different with a bit more touring bias, and you get loads and loads of braze ons.

Krampus with a fork with anything cage mounts would be my choice.

fin25
    Free Member

Just to stop this turning into a Surly-fest, a picture of my longitude, which I love.

Which is not to say that a Surly-fest is a bad thing…

Paceman
    Free Member

I love my Krampus and can thoroughly recommend it. If I had the funds I might also consider a Jones though, and the Travers 29+ also looks nice.

Get a Krampus in Moonlit Swamp green whilst stocks last, they’re beautiful in the flesh…

Jossie

In the usual recommend what you have way I would go for a fat front Jones Spaceframe, in Orange FTW.

jameso

I’d recommend a Jones for what Ton’s after too but at his height I reckon the std size could be too small. Great big-guy bikes otherwise, really solid feeling. The Jones Plus would be worth a try. For a mix of loaded touring and general off-road use the way Jones bikes handle is very hard to match imo.

Paceman
    Free Member

The Jones Plus was reviewed in last month’s magazine:

http://singletrackworld.com/magarchive/issue-97/

And STW’s review of the Krampus can be read at:

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/issue-83-surly-krampus/

You can’t go wrong with either in my opinion for what you’re looking for.

Del

how about the trek stache?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Krampus, Ogre, Longitude, any thing else?’ is closed to new replies.