Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Krampus
  • BIGMAN
    Free Member

I just wanted some opinions on the Krampus. Anyone own one? Anyone hated theirs?

Is there anything else for similar money? Looking at frame only.

rOcKeTdOg

Genesis longitude?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve got one, frame only is terrible vfm no idea what else is out there though travers? Singular?

I’d be tempted to go chinese carbon fatty that’s compatible

scotroutes

Only really suitable for riders 5’9″ and up.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Really? I’m 5’6″

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Appeals as has rackmounts and the Singular does not.

What is so poor value? The Singular is the same I believe.

drovercycles
    Free Member

They’re great bikes – a blast to ride and very capable, and versatile.

Genesis Longitude (also a great bike) is quite a bit cheaper, but in my mind is more like the ECR than the Krampus. Krampus is the one to get if you want a “fun” bike which can also do bikepacking stuff, the ECR or Longitude is an adventure touring bike first and foremost (which is also fun, of course…)

They’re not cheap, but they’re worth it!

rOcKeTdOg

& the Singular doesn’t actually exist yet

BIGMAN
    Free Member

@drovercycles – that is exactly what I want it for TBH. Some of the other options I spotted don’t have rack mounts and this seems like it will be good value to pop together out my spares box.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

What is so poor value?

649 quid for a steel frame and forks, not to mention the tyres/rims – it was quite a chunk of cash

no you can get light bikes 50mm carbon rims for a similar price to rabbit holes, same with a compatible frame,

BIGMAN
    Free Member

I’ve seen the frame for £499 so not horrific. Comparable with Singular.

The wheels I agree are overpriced hence buying as a frame only.

Is there anything else out there for circa £500 that is as much fun and will cope with rack mounts and stuff.

takisawa2

Spent an afternoon on a Krampus around Cannock.
    Loved the grip & comfort that the 29+ tyres brought, & it was certainly a laugh, but the frame felt too stiff…
    Might sound odd but my usual bike is a spindly Niner SIR.9 that I ride rigid.
    I’deal would be the springy feel of the Niner with the 29+ wheels & tyres, & it’s half way there. 🙂
    But the Krampus in just plain gauge cro-mo felt a bit of a lump.

The carbon Salsa Beargrease is 29+ compatible, like wise that Pivot Les Fat.
    Both are north of £2k though, I bet.

The WTB Dually rim is only 5mm narrower than a Rabbit Hole, & a chunk cheaper.

Sub £500…an Inbred & get the frame modified ? 😐

drovercycles
    Free Member

@drovercycles – that is exactly what I want it for TBH.

You won’t regret getting one then.

Frame RRP has come down to £599 now. £499 is a good deal and doesn’t strike me as expensive for what you get.

The Rabbit Hole rims are a bit special and when you handle them you realise why they cost what they do (we just build another one up today). Dually is a bit cheaper but not nearly as much to it.

Robespierre
    Free Member

Krampus is made from butted cro-mo,not plain gauge as has been suggested. It is expensive as a full build, although you can pick them up for £1300-1400 if you look and I’d be confident of finding a frame and fork for around £500. Frame is not going to vertically stiffer or less comfortable than any other hardtail. They come in around 32lb and are just the best thing.I’ve seen a prototype of the Singular and it does look nice, but clearance on the back with a knard/rabbit hole combination looked a bit intimate.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Krampus’ is closed to new replies.