Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Kos – Worth hiring a bike?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I am out in Kos near Kardamena for a week next month, very near some nice looking hills.

It looks like you can hire some reasonably good bikes which suprises me, does that mean the riding is actually pretty good?

Any advice appreciated.

retrorick

The hills around pyli and zia look interesting. There also seems to be plenty of woods on the mountain side. I only have driven through the area. The area around kefalos has lots of dusty tracks also. Bike hire is plentiful around Kos, I saw giant advertised alot. Bike hire around kefalos is limited to city bikes and very cheap mtn bikes. Not sure about access regs but the quad bike seem to go everywhere and down the tracks to the beaches.

dknwhy

I stayed in Tingaki last year and spent a couple of days driving around the island.
    I think there is a mtb guiding company on the island but they were quite expensive if I remember rightly. Would think they’re pretty essential though as the map I bought had nothing much in terms of official trails or anything. Not sure on the access laws either so a guide is probably the best bet.

In the end, the heat got to me and I just decided to be a lazy slob instead for two weeks!
    If I were to go back, i’d either book a guided mtb trip or probably hire a road bike though as the roads are pretty quiet away from the main A roads and I think it would be more rewarding/less frustrating than trying to find my own routes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    christhetall
    Free Member

Coming back from a climbing trip to Kalymnos, found myself chatting to a guy who had gone to Kos for a family hol and taken his (I guess fairly expensive) bike with him, so he obviously thought it was worthwhile. My friends who hired bikes on Kalymnos were less impressed – but that was more down to quality of the bikes than the roads

retrorick

It’s a pleasant 25c at the moment so riding is possible. I’ve seen more road bikes also. The mountain roads are good but I expect they will be filled up with coaches, cars, quads and beach buggies next month and be driven erratically! Take some hiking trainers so you can summit the mountain if the biking doesn’t materialize.

retrorick

Saw a few mtn bikes around pyli Old Town. Using maps.me it shows all the main trails on the island. Went through the plaka near the airport also which has some trails and peacocks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Kos – Worth hiring a bike?’ is closed to new replies.