Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kona Roadhouse…boooo
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Was looking at the Kona Roadhouse as a possible new winter commuter. It ticks the three main boxes I’m looking for: room for wide tyres, rack and guard mounts, disc brakes.

Last year’s model was pretty much spot-on spec wise: full 105 with hydraulic discs, decent enough wheels and simple finishing kit. Unfortunately, I can’t find any 2016 Roadhouses left in my size (61) and they’ve massively upgraded the spec on the 2017 model. It now comes with full Ultegra and fancy Mavic wheels, meaning the price has gone from £1,699 for last year’s model to £3,499!

I would just pick up a frame and build something with 105 and cheap-ish wheels myself, but a dealer has just told me that while it was initially supposed to be available as frame-only, that’s not going to be happening anytime soon.

Such a shame. I can’t help but think that Kona might have priced itself out of the market here.

Doubly a shame as the 2017 frame finish is STUNNING:

scotroutes

I’m sure it’ll be nice when it’s finished

RustySpanner

Wheelhouse?

Same frame as the Roadhouse, same price as last year?

ashfanman
    Free Member

Wheelhouse? Same frame as the Roadhouse, same price as last year?

Yeah, I did look at the Wheelhouse, but the spec on that is actually a bit lower than I’d like: Tiagra, mechanical discs, etc. That’s a lot worse than last year’s Roadhouse, which was the same price. Also, the frame finish just isn’t as pretty as the 2017 Roadhouse. (These things probably shouldn’t matter, but they do – to me, at least.)

Would be happy swapping the Wheelhouse build onto a Roadhouse frame, but can’t imagine any dealer is going to do that.

13thfloormonk

Yeah I remember seeing that whilst engaged in my eternal search for the perfect road bike, disappointing although I do love the finish of that 2017 frame.

Latest contender which I *think* is a pretty good match for the Roadhouse is the Fairlight Strael, 853 main tubes, clearance for 28s and guards, discs, 105, choice of two sizes (tall or regular), three paint jobs.

Think the 105 build is £1700

joshvegas
    Free Member

Christ £1600 for a winter commuter?!

drlex
    Free Member

Agree with OP; frame finish looks superb, but hell of an uplift on the spec. Almost went for the 2016 when discounted, but now preferring the option of a slightly lighter Mason Bokeh.

MoreCashThanDash

Have a Fratello Disc on order. Well over the budget but thought I’d brag about it again.

Was very tempted by last years Roadhouse.

genubah
    Free Member

@ashfanman: How much tyre clearance do you need? A colleague of mine has the 2016 model and with the original tyres (30c) he struggled with the mudguard options and ended up with some RaceBlades. The internet suggests that anything over 35c does not work.

ampthill

What about a Big Rove?

Or a genesis Equilibrium disc?

belugabob
    Free Member

I would have gone for the Genesis equilibrium disc, if it had a flat mount fork – can’t see the sense of flat mount frame and post mount fork.
    Have you considered the Kinesis Racelight 4S disc? – is the only (reliably available, and not horrendously expensive) frameset that ticks all of my boxes

andcarson
    Free Member

belugabob – Member
    I would have gone for the Genesis equilibrium disc, if it had a flat mount fork – can’t see the sense of flat mount frame and post mount fork.

Yes yes yes!. I have the 2016 frameset and though I now have a lovely bike built around it, it drives me mad that they used a post-mount and flat-mount. Not that I will ever upgrade to flat mount hydraulics, but it is the principle of the matter!
    They clearly had a load of post-mount forks to shift with the new frame…

ashfanman
    Free Member

How much tyre clearance do you need? A colleague of mine has the 2016 model and with the original tyres (30c) he struggled with the mudguard options and ended up with some RaceBlades. The internet suggests that anything over 35c does not work.

Looking for something to fit 30c tyres and proper mudguards like Chromoplastics. You don’t reckon that’d work on the Roadhouse, then?

Or a genesis Equilibrium disc?

Really like the Equilibrium, but I’m 6’6 and even the XL is too small for me. I ideally need a stack of over 630mm. The Racelight 4S is also a bit too low.

fatmax

Yeah, I did look at the Wheelhouse, but the spec on that is actually a bit lower than I’d like: Tiagra, mechanical discs, etc. That’s a lot worse than last year’s Roadhouse, which was the same price. Also, the frame finish just isn’t as pretty as the 2017 Roadhouse. (These things probably shouldn’t matter, but they do – to me, at least.)

My thoughts exactly. Asked the local Kona dealer for availability on a 61 Roadhouse (2016) and I was too late to 🙁
    Think the new Wheelhouse doesn’t look so good either, as well as being a much worse spec.

thepodge
    Free Member

There seems to be too much crossover in the Kona road line up, for me it wouldn’t hurt to have less frames and more structured / price point build options.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Have you ridden the Kona as I considered it but read a couple of reviews referring to toe overlap. Just a thought.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kona Roadhouse…boooo’ is closed to new replies.