Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Kona Process owners – shock change
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Do they require a specific non-standard diameter of eyelet for the yoke end? I’m finding conflicting info online.

Anyone bought a standard shock and whacked it straight in?

kimbers

Nope is just a standard Fox diameter mount, but has no bushing fitted

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers Kimbers, that’s what I understood originally. Glad it’s accurate after all.

I’d emailed you at the address in your profile about the Process before I posted this BTW.

🙂

kimbers

Oh you did too, no probs

chakaping
    Free Member

Do/did you have the 2014 Monarch RT?

If so what do you reckon to it? The RT3 on my 111 feels a bit wooden and skittery, I think.

oldfart

Interested myself as mine is currently at the menders TF , Dave’s already told me it needs a new shaft but won’t know about air can until he pulls it apart .Hope I don’t need to replace after only 18 months
    🙁 Apparently new ones are hard to get hold of at the moment 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

My uncertainty was kind of related to Cane Creek shocks – as they seem to use a variety of eyelet sizes.

Everything I’ve read suggests Fox and RS shocks fit no probs.

poah
    Free Member
    kimbers

i stuck a dhx air tuned by avalanche on, very good shock

my rt3? (the non piggyback) monarch was OK, but id agree skittish, and the sealing on the rockshox, did not handle gritty wet riding.

i think its a M/M tune but you need to have a low volume can on to keep it prgressive or chuck a load of spacers in

davosaurusrex

Apologies for the hijack but what do you think of the 111 chakaping? I fancy a more new school geometry 29er to replace the Sultan I’ve had for 3 years and the process is on the list although the stack height looks too low for me. Same story with the Smuggler.

chakaping
    Free Member

Apologies for the hijack but what do you think of the 111 chakaping?

I am absolutely delighted with it.

I was saying on another thread earlier today it’s the most fun and fastest bike I’ve owned.

It’s heavy and long (I kind of sized up) but feels nippy with the 430mm chainstays – and the stiffness and predictable suspension give me so much confidence I can corner it harder than any bike I’ve owned.

What kind of riding do you like to do?

davosaurusrex

Cruising to the top to bomb the drops, couple of local (South East) enduros a year. Few uplift days, off to Winterberg for a long weekend in June. Same as many middle aged wannabes really. The Sultan has been the best bike I’ve owned, in many ways I’d be stupid to change it. However I could do with more reach, would like shorter chainstays for more pop and a slightly lower bb. Don’t like the front end too low as it does my back in.

Would like frame only as I’m happy with the rest of the parts I have (Pikes, LB carbon/Hope wheels, 1×10 XT, E4 brakes etc)

Have also seen 2014 stumpjumper evo comp frames on sale cheap but the numbers possibly aren’t different enough to change – 10mm more travel (horst link not DW), 10mm lower BB, 12mm shorter stays and 25mm more reach

So dunno really. In no rush. Waiting to see the numbers on the YT Jeffsy

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like it could be perfect for you, but maybe best to try to get a go on one. It’s really not like any bike I’ve ridden before.

If you’re using the same fork, wouldn’t you be able to have the front end the same height anyway?

davosaurusrex

Yeah but a lot of spacers looks crap, I think more than 40mm isn’t recommended and doubt it does anything for accuracy. I don’t think they are available frame only so would have to be a wiggle mega sale type deal later in the year if they don’t sell out, this would be a faff. I read the frame has lost a pound in weight for 2016 though

chakaping
    Free Member

40mm rise bars for you then.

😉

I got my frame secondhand, feels like a safe used buy as they’re so sturdy.

I’d offer you a go, but you’re the wrong end of the country.

Your build kit sounds ideal BTW, my Pike lowered to 120mm is way better than when it was at 150mm on my last bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

I read the frame has lost a pound in weight for 2016 though

I read that, but then I think I also read it was 100g.

I’m sure they could shed a *bit* of weight without compromising what makes it so great, but it’s always risky tampering with a winning formula.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Which shock are you looking at Chakaing? I had the Monarch fail on my 111 about a month before my Alps trip last year. Sramtech didn’t have any replacements and it was touch and go if I’d get a new one in time. I spoke to TF Tuned, as I thought that I’d just buy a DB air (they had them in stock), but they advised against it as it wouldn’t suit the bike (I do weigh 90KGs though).

They reckoned that the Monarch was the best for the job, but they didn’t have any either. Luckily the warranty replacement did arrive.

I do find the Monarch a bit inconsistent and find the adjustment too coarse – I can only really run the rebound in one position. It’s a fun bike though!

chakaping
    Free Member

I was thinking of a DBair actually – but just to confuse matters that was in relation to a 153. And for the record, it won’t fit without a change of shock eyelet.

I just spoke to TF about that now actually and the young lad also said there wasn’t much point changing the shock on the 111.

Do you think the suspension platform (and stiff frame and short travel) just gives more feedback than average? I’m not sure if it’s slowing me down ‘cos I’m setting Strava PBs and getting KOMs – maybe someone who has upgraded the 111 will comment.

kimbers

The weight loss comes from the seat tube gusset so much more is lost on the XL than the small.

It’ll never be a particularly light bike, but that really isn’t a worry.

I believe that some of the Kona staffers ride 153s with dB airs

chakaping
    Free Member

OK I’ve got the 153 and it’s amazing. However the last owner has upgraded to a Monarch (not plus) RT3 (not debonair) with M/H tune.

I think they have a M/M tube as standard – and it does feel more skittish than it should on fast, rocky trails.

Any other owners care to comment on their shock choice? I’ve heard good things about the Monarch Plus, but would they come with a specific tune than an off-the-shelf M/M shock would lack?

Otherwise I’m thinking I could try to save for the new Fox X2 with climb switch, since that’s supposed to be better than a CCDB.

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t be shy.

thepodge
    Free Member

So you have the 153 and the 111? you’re getting to be as big of a Kona fan boy as me.

The 111 has grown on me but I’ve modded my current bike to be a bit slacker with more travel and the same BB drop so I’d not be gaining much other than front length.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep I’ve gone full Kona. I love how they ride.

I’ve even built this up with my 26in stuff for my holidays…

thepodge
    Free Member

That looks very purposeful and more bike than I could ever use properly

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Kona Process owners – shock change’ is closed to new replies.