Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Kona Process 153 DL Vs Specialized Enduro expert 650b carbon
  • jonnyblease
    Free Member

Hi all,

Similar to a lot of people I’m, on the market for a do it all 650b 160mm travel bike. I’ve sold my DH bike and I’ve narrowed down into 2 options thus far (although I’m open to suggestions);

1) 2015 Kona Process 153 DL
    2) Specialized Enduro expert 650b

I’ve had a few Specialized bikes and like the look and ride of them, the enduro seems to get good write-ups, has a pretty decent spec (although I’d have preffered all Shimano running gear) including a carbon frame and seems like the natural progression from my previous bikes.

The Kona gets rave reviews and has similar good spec although the seat posts are supposedly terrible and I don’t think my dropper post from my Stumpy is the right size to swap.

PS anyone have any experience with the Kona sizing? I’m 5ft9, apparently that means I can go for the M or L?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

ajt123
    Free Member

If I had the money I would buy the Kona. The only thing holding Kona back has been the rubbish Shimano hubs, which they have resolved with this model.

The real win is on the frame – looks like you could absolutely hoon that rear end around. Better fork too.

Specialized a bit like the Avid Elixirs of Bikes – look nice, good tech, constantly fiddling with bearings.

julians
    Free Member

you’re spoilt for choice in this segment, in terms of value for money it seems hard to beat the Yt capra, but some people dont like the sizing.

I recently deliberated, and narrowed it down to the following based on reviews :-

– Kona process 153 – Looked like the frame would be a touch heavy compared to the competition, plus no frame only option.
    – YT capra – Would need to get large size for the reach to be right, but then the seatpost would be borderline too long for me, plus no frame only option
    – GT Sanction – Looked too gravity focussed, plus I dont like the way the Gt suspension works with the BB moving with the rear wheel.
    – Orbea Rallon – This is what I bought, long ,low slack, very similar in geometry to the kona, but lighter, available frame only with a great shock tuned to the frame, plus its a bit

kimbers

ive got a 153 its brilliant, corners, jumps, descends brilliantly- like a dh bike, even climbs ok too

put mine on a bit of a diet- carbon bars, LB carbon rims, lighter saddle so its fine on long day rides too

daver27
    Free Member

the other thing to bear in mind is the Specialized isn’t designed from the ground up as a 650b bike (as per all of Specializeds 650b bikes) its got the 26″ bikes front end and then some new linkages and seat/chainstays to allow the bigger rear wheel to fit. Bit of a frankenbike to meet market demand that Specialized hadn’t counted on.
    I’d go Kona without a moments hesitation.

Another alternative to consider is the Saracen Ariel 152, absolute beast of a bike

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Kona Process 153 DL Vs Specialized Enduro expert 650b carbon’ is closed to new replies.