Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kona Process 134
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Evening all! Anyone got a kona process 134 they would care to give me a review on. I’m looking at the 2014 model. Cheers

kimbers

Got a 153 which has very similar construction but obviously slacker and more travel

Its very very, stiff and wide the bank end is properly chunky, the shortish rear means it handles corners really well, the 153 fells like it has much more travel but still climbs well

The only negative is that with 2x setup the chain jumps off the back sometimes, so 1x with a nw, clutch mechs and guide is recommended

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks kimbers. The 134 felt fairly heavy to me but hoping I could get it quite a bit lighter. Hoping it doesn’t ride as heavy as it feels.

Anyone else?

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I had a demo on one, it was way too small for me, so couldn’t pedal it for toffee, but once on the downs it was very planted, and rode much better than the previous generation kona’s

not light, but did feel that it would pedal well in the right size, i recon its a bit of a short travel, big hit style, so if after something more light weight, xc, Id look elsewhere. but for a all-round/trail bike, could be just the ticket.

br
    Free Member

Thanks kimbers. The 134 felt fairly heavy to me but hoping I could get it quite a bit lighter. Hoping it doesn’t ride as heavy as it feels.

A riding pal bought one in the summer, he likes it and he goes better on it than his previous Spicy. Weighs 32lb for a medium, but he reckons it rides lighter.

deviant
    Free Member

I demo’d one from Crank Cycles in Alton, Hampshire….loved it, they also had a Nukeproof TR they let me ride, i have liked the idea of a little less squish at the back end for a while and its good to see some nice bikes with that thinking.

The recent controversial Chris Porter (of Mojo suspension) interview hit on exactly what a lot of riders have been feeling for a while now….that there is such a thing as ‘too much’ at the back end of the bike, he rides a Mondraker with a 140mm frame but with 170mm forks up front, the 134 and TR arent that extreme but its the same principle…Porter described it as wanting to know what the bike is doing under him and being able to use the trail for speed not just the bike and he feels with 160mm at the rear end it all just gets lost in squish.

Anyway, soapbox moment over…the Kona rode great, it felt a touch more lively than the TR i rode on the same day…the Nukeproof is a sledgehammer even in the shorter trvel version, the Kona seemed like more of a trail bike if that makes sense, the one i rode was the cheaper version with 2×10 gearing (which i like anyway) and the Sektor forks…i have these forks on a HT so i liked the spec actually even if it was the base model…i gather the top of the range comes with XT, Revelations etc etc…and maybe 1x? gearing i think?

In the end price swung it for me, there are great deals online but having demo’d from my local shop i just couldnt do that to them….but at the same time i also couldnt justify the price they wanted!….so with a nearly new Revelation at home under the bed i went frame only on a Giant Trance and i’m doing a similar thing with that (140mm frame with 150mm fork).

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

What about a Transition Scout? Lighter and slacker.

oldfart

Not sure if I know br but that’s what I did . Bought a 134DL to replace my Spicy and yes I’d like to lighten it up a tad but it’s more an itch that I want to scratch rather than riding lardy ! Every time I ride it it makes me grin and I can’t wait for the Spring/Summer to ride it . Much more practical than the Spicy for my type of mincing 🙂 If you’re anywhere near the Quantocks any time you’re welcome to try it .

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks oldfart but I’m in the midlands I’m afraid. How do you find it’s climbing ability? I’ve tried to get a demo but none available.

br
    Free Member

oldfart

No you don’t, as I’m (and my riding pal) are in the Scottish Borders – but your name would suit him also 🙂

It also seems to climb well, as here we do a lot.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i borrowed one to ride Skiddaw, absolutely loved it. i put my own wheels, bar and stem on it first. most noticeable feature is the massive step over clearance. makes it really playful, can really throw it about without clanking your knees on the top tube!

dave32
    Free Member

Evans have them,Maidenhead store has one on the shop floor,Looks much nicer than the pics you see of it,The blue looks really good up close. Didn’t take it out but as had a ride on a norco and bmc instead,Fork kinda put me off a little,thats why i opted to spend a little more,

hora
    Free Member

The recent controversial Chris Porter (of Mojo suspension) interview hit on exactly what a lot of riders have been feeling for a while now….that there is such a thing as ‘too much’ at the back end of the bike, he rides a Mondraker with a 140mm frame but with 170mm forks up front, the 134 and TR arent that extreme but its the same principle…Porter described it as wanting to know what the bike is doing under him and being able to use the trail for speed not just the bike and he feels with 160mm at the rear end it all just gets lost in squish

We’ve known for a few years that short rear/longer front is good. I always loved my 115mm travel Blur 4X. With a lowered 36 fork it was stunning. I sold it before a Alps trip and bitterly regret that.

The Kona- I’ve seen a few mag reviews (dirt etc) and they are all glowing. Kona seem to be like Norco of old- respected but not on fashion trend sadly. I’d have one in a flash.

honourablegeorge

Yeah, miss my 4x too – even if it was too small for me.

hora
    Free Member

It was never too small. It defied convention 😀

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

how are they not on fashion trend? i know 6 people locally who are all riding a process, mainly the 153 but also the 134 and a 111.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kona Process 134’ is closed to new replies.