Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Kona Mash-up Results – Is it just me?
  • nickegg
    Free Member

or are over half the riders who entered the enduro category missing off the list?

I counted around 115 on the entry sheets on Friday night but i’m not on the list and only 58 are on the finishers list!!!

Anyone else in the same boat?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

They messed up loads apparently. My riding mate went and did really well, but they messed his best time up. There were over 200 entries.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

not surprised after last years mess up with the timings!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steveh

What he said! I didn’t do it this year after last years farce with timing. Looks like despite the claims they haven’t sorted it out. Really glad I didn’t go again!!

nickegg
    Free Member

And there i was thinking that they couldn’t possibly get it wrong again!

The sponsors must **** furious! I am!!!!

Looks like i’m going to be making a few phone calls to get my money back!

Dimmadan
    Free Member

25 minutes for a lap was cleared in 4 mins is a joke. These results are being revised so take these with a pinch of salt.

nickegg
    Free Member

Just added up a random selection of those that are listed and not one of them adds up!!!!

steveh

Good luck nickegg, I tried that last year and got nowhere. Tho you should definitely this year if they’ve naffed it up again.

milkherd
    Free Member

Why don’t they just run it like the avalanche enduro?! Surely a simpler way of doing things, and you get a bit of team spirit going with the guys you ride with all day, despite not knowing them at the beginning.

rockfield
    Free Member

I mailed the guy doing the timing (there is a link on the kona mash up page) and he has sent a revised set of results to be published tomorrow. I wasnt on the original list but am now. It still looks a bit screwy to me, but my times are pretty close to what I measured using my watch so better than last year I think. Was a bit unimpressed to see that they only had electronic mats for some sections. Dont understand why its so complicated to sort out!

nickegg
    Free Member

Yeah it shouldn’t be too complicated really.

I think the format is great and i really enjoyed it but to **** it up twice in a row is incredible.

I think they may have ruined a great idea there!

Maybe next year i’ll try and enter the avalanche enduro, looks ALOT more professional.

grumm
    Free Member

Avalanche Enduro was top, all seemed to work really well.

clubber
    Free Member

It’s a shame that the problems have happened again. I’d be interested to know what went wrong this time – it’s a great idea in theory, just sounds like the execution isn’t great.

nickegg
    Free Member

Weirdly the problems seem to affect only the enduro category. The technical categroy results have been listed correctly from what i can see!

It would seem they put more effort into the technical than the enduro.

antennae
    Free Member

Technical times for Windy Point and Darkside seem fine, but we did the short black run 3 times and only had the first (slowest!) run recorded. I took at least 10 seconds out of my first run time so I hope the other runs appear in the final results.

Apparently some muppet crashed into the timing boxes at the end of the black run and took out one of the magic mats.

numplumz
    Free Member

4 of us numplumz did the enduro and got interested when we saw from a preliminarty print out of one of the sections that we were all in the top ten! None of us are in the final results.

Don’t really expect any reliable results, when you saw the scribbled bits of paper the marshalls and timekeepers were using to input data into a spreadsheet late into the night, while the band were banging out tunes and people were almost serving food over their heads, its not a suprise.

Shame as it was a top event idea, but effectively we paid for results! we can ride the trails anytime.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Apparently some muppet crashed into the timing boxes at the end of the black run and took out one of the magic mats.

Don’t you mean ‘The muppets put the timing devices in a place that someone could crash into’?

numplumz
    Free Member

Oh also the prizegiving was an ace laugh. Everyone who thought they were fast hanging around because each section had prizes down to 5th place. so thats about 40 prize winners.

lots of winners names shouted out….silence……………only 2 people were actually there in person. big anti-climax.

RichH
    Free Member

What a shame, tarnishes such a great event. £30 to ride my local trails with someone timing me seemed questionable. £30 to ride my local trails without someone timing me… Hmmm.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

It looks like the Technical results are duff too, my mate’s times are not on the provisional results.

I got chatting to a Dirt journalist on one of the the walks back to the top of the Black run and apparently they are looking into setting up a series of five races based on the Mash Up concept. All at different venues of course and with proper timing.

So watch this space I guess. Personally I think the concept for the Technical event is excellent and fits nicely into that gaping chasm between XC/Endurance racing and DH racing.

grumm
    Free Member

It sounds like a good concept – stuff like this and the Avalanche Enduro appeals to me much more than an XC or endurance race.

Shame they couldn’t get the timing sorted out though.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

You’ll be pleased to hear I got some nice pictures! But I’m afraid they won’t be online until Wednesday – Sorry.

benjag
    Free Member

I though it was pretty good, yes the timing bit was sketchy but it was a good craic. I was happy to beat Ed-O on the same bike!(pending re-released results)

dasnut
    Free Member

timing should be done like the avalanche enduros. Much simpler to keep track of. Clock starts at your allocated start time (one less variable to get wrong) and stops when you cross the line. Sorted.

numplumz
    Free Member

timing should be done like the avalanche enduros. Much simpler to keep track of. Clock starts at your allocated start time (one less variable to get wrong) and stops when you cross the line. Sorted.

We really enjoyed the event because of the lack of need to be at a certain place for a certain time though. We had a great laugh riding all the other trails together as mates, even stopping for dinner half way through. Racing the bits we wanted in the order we chose.

I guess for the Avalanche there is queuing at the beginning of each section, which would be hell if the weather was crap. We never queued anywhere. Also your start time might be an hour out from your mates.

The concept of recording a start time and an end time is not to difficult, but needs to applied with a very strict procedure. It would not have been too hard surely to have a properly formatted sheet to log times on, (instead of small bits of cardboard i saw in use!) which are collected say every few hours from the timekeepers and delivered back to the central area at windy corner for a person to input on a rolling basis.

Electronic timing will always fail, you have to have a backup of people writing down times as well. This wasn’t happening on the climb section for sure.

I’d love to do this as a series, it was ace, but why pay expecting to not get a result.

Toombsy
    Free Member

what a shame, especially as they made a big thing about getting the timing sorted
    I rode it last year and hesitated to enter this year – did plan to do December one if this one was a success
    I like format and think it would suit alot of people

grumm
    Free Member

I guess for the Avalanche there is queuing at the beginning of each section, which would be hell if the weather was crap. We never queued anywhere. Also your start time might be an hour out from your mates.

Yeah but that was part of the appeal. People queuing meant you got a decent crowd watching everyone on some sections, plus you had a good craic with a load of strangers who were near you in the running order – you can ride with your mates any time!

milkherd
    Free Member

Also, the avalanche enduro seeded you, and then set you off at 30 second intervals. With the mash up format you can catch the guy in front without meaning to.
    You don’t want to appear arrogant by giving the rider in front a 5 minute gap and having a huge queue build up behind you but you don’t want to catch a guy up who was 1 minute ahead of you (which happened…!) and slow down both of your runs.
    Times are still missing for three of my mates…

Sounds like the organiser had a rough time crashing into a dog in the car park (apparently). As a piece of constructive criticism (if the organiser looks at this…) I would support this event again if they changed the format to a more simplistic timing system (eg avalanche enduro) but in it’s current format it was flawed. However, it did seem to have good trade support and the location for the race is great.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the event on the day, but when I saw the results last night I didn’t think they were accurate and it seems like I might have been right.

Hope they sort it out before the December event.

redx

Same here, I really enjoyed the day, and really liked the fact you could ride each section multiple times, especially after I crashed on Windy Point….. I thought that the atmosphere up the top was fairly relaxed and it was great the sun was shining.

I thought the marshals could have been supported a bit better, especially as by the looks of things later in the day all the batteries for the timing boxes were running out meaning they were reduced to paper and pen….

Hopefully they’ll have the revised timings on the web soon – I’m currently languishing in 195th place after they got my time wrong the black section. However I got a fairly quick response when I e-mailed them yesterday, and my revised times aren’t bad for a big lad on a hard-tail…..

shands
    Free Member

Loved the event, but once again looks like I am going to be knarked off with the timings. I dont even appear on the enduro catergory anywhere, even after riding the whites again to get a better time on the darkside (final descent) after crashing. Emailed the timing and guy and will see what happens. If the mess it up this year, I will be demanding my money back. I can ride the trails any day of the week as their are just over the mountain for me.
    I have heard about series of similar races as well. Hopefully they ll get the timings sorted out.
    What do you guys think about having an uplift service there for evenats like this?

shands
    Free Member

Fair do the guy emailed me back and I am 10th in the enduro catergory. But its wrong and I can see me sliding back quite a few places.

nickhead
    Free Member

As it says on the site – times and results are provisional, so not reading too much into it at the moment (especially after comments from people on here, who’ve had results sent direct). Not that i’m hoping for an amazing improvement for myself… My times indicate pretty clearly that i need to work on fitness / climbing (assuming the time for the climb is my second, not first attempt)

Bit concerning tho to see a stage time that put Rob Cooksley in 2nd, almost a minute behind the fastest… doesn’t add up to me.

Overall tho – i enjoyed the day, but it was more down to the trails, rather than the event. Probably at a bit of a disadvantage having not ridden any of the Skyline trails before – a few emergency hucks were pulled out of the bag, and my pace setting on the uphills was off the mark.

I’ve done 3 of the Avalanche Enduros – and yeah – the organisation seemed a lot better. They spend a lot of time on briefing Marshalls, Clive Forth and crew do a great job of course preparation (not easy on a 35k loop), and the allocated start time and seeding makes the job of timing a lot simpler and more reliable.

That said – if the difficulties around the timing could be ironed out (faster, more reliable results, so people would have an idea of how well they’d done and be confident in its validity) – it would be a great day out racing against and riding with your mates.

look forward to hearing about any other similar series tho – is a great format in principle.

Ed-O
    Free Member

I was happy to beat Ed-O on the same bike!(pending re-released results)

Maybe, but I’ve got the best beard – no re-released results pending on that one.

benjag
    Free Member

yep you defo got me on that one! I managed to take a big flake of paint off the bottom of the swingarm on the mojo…bugger!

numplumz
    Free Member

RESULTS
    The results are in and look good to me, nice one.

Lots of fast people out there, and I can now say I have raced Tracey Moseley and been well beaten 😉

richc
    Free Member

Rob Cooksley (from Badassbikes) must be pleased thats 2 years in a row that he’s won.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Photos now available here

nickhead
    Free Member

Some cool photos – the last one in the ‘anything else’ list is of me with one eye closed… not because of the flash, but due to getting a big splash of mud in my eye at that exact same moment!

Anyone know who the photographer was standing up above the trail on top of a rocky outcrop near the end of the Darkside section (about 12pm)? Like to see how that shot came out – seemed like a good position

benjag
    Free Member

RPRT…£4.45 seems like a lot for a pic……if it was £2 I’d buy both pics you have of me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Kona Mash-up Results – Is it just me?’ is closed to new replies.