Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kona Mash-up…..
  • nickegg
    Free Member

….who’s doing it?

Doing it again as i enjoyed it even if the timing/results was a joke. It was my first ever race and managed 43rd out of 90 odd in the enduro class.That was the furthest i had probably ever ridden! Doing 30 odd miles 2/3 times a week now.

Redundancy has given me ALOT of time to ride. So i’m feeling pretty good at the moment.

I’d be interested to know who else this appeals too.

sharki
    Free Member

i may do it again this year, but not on a HT, and try to better 31st place.

Gotta get mended first!

jam-bo

Do they have a one armed bandit class…

steveh

I’m tempted but not sure about doing after the farce of last years timing. I’d inclined to drop the guys an email and see what guarantees they’re giving for the timing being right this time.

spanners
    Free Member

I’m doing it for the first time. Still looking for the ‘ar5ing about’ or ‘who cares about the results’ class though.

jam-bo

you can do that at Afan the other 364 days of the year and save yourself £30…

Ed-O
    Free Member

Myself and “Teddy” Lund will be there representing Singletrack at the June Mash Up. We enjoyed it last year, despite the timing problems. I wasn’t that bothered about the timing thing because I was slower than Teddy and you have to make the most of any advantage you can get! I’m sure it will be sorted this year.

nickegg
    Free Member

Yeah, i somehow doubt any sponsors etc would have wanted to be involved if there weren’t assurances about timing.

It didn’t bother me much, i know i beat my mate and lets face it thats the most important thing!

More annoying were the big group camping next to us who kept us up until 4am!!! on race day.

Whats the opinion on SPD’s V’s Flats for racing. I noticed Rowan Sorrell using SPD’s, he’s usally on flats. Is there really an advantage?

chunkychew
    Free Member

We were next to that group as well. Morons.

I’ll probably do it but I’m thinking twice after last years farce. Would be nice for them to offer those that did it last year a discount on this years entry…

nickegg
    Free Member

I wonder if numbers will be down on last year after that timing farce? I’ve already entered as it’s the only race that involves the kind of riding i like.

Would have done the Enduro Avalanche at Kielder too but i’m getting married that weekend!

Will definitly be entering that next year though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Was probably going to enter, but now you’re putting me off.

What happened last year?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I may well give it ago.

Will I get frowned upon for being crap at going up hills and then nearly killing myself (that how is feels to me anyway) on teh way back down?

clubber
    Free Member

Will I get frowned upon for being crap at going up hills and then nearly killing myself

Nah, you’ll fit in perfectly 🙂

Chakaping – Last year, the timings were all over the place and there were a lot of queries about the accuracy of the results. People I know who did it still enjoyed it though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll probably do it again if I’m around but I sure as hell won’t take the XC race bike.

nickegg
    Free Member

I reckon there was a great atmosphere last time. Definitly didn’t come across anyone taking it too seriously.

The best decision we made was not to try and get up the climb as soon as it opened (9am). Looking up from the campsite was like looking at a line of ants doing a climb!

By half ten or so, there was hardly anyone in the way. This time i shall be only riding the timed climb section, save my energy for the rest of the sections.

People who were pushing up the climb were haapy to get out the way of timed riders, with abit of notice from me. Same on Skyline descent when i came hammering down to the last corner to find Doddy(MBUK) with a photographer sessioning a section!!! They didn’t hold me up though.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Think I might give it a go, never race so something to get myself ‘in training’ for…

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I’m giving it a go with at least one mate lined up too – although we’ve yet to actually enter. We’ll be doing Technical race rather than the Enduro, just to see who’s really the quickest through the singletrack:-)

nickegg
    Free Member

Enduro is still who’s quickest, just over longer and more sections 😀

I was a wreck by the last section though. My legs were screaming at me!!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kona Mash-up…..’ is closed to new replies.