Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Kona Jake – Are they as versatile and fun as they look? Anyone looking to sell
  • moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I have only heard good things and think that will tick all the boxes for me winter ride/commuter/tourer/slow CX racer. Do current owners like them?

Does anyone have one for sale? I am 6’2″, so I would imagine I need around a 58 ish?

Sancho
    Free Member

I love mine, done all sorts on it on and off road, and will be my winter commute/hack

Graham_Clark

Not a Jake, 😉 but I’ve a Planet-X Uncle John for sale… I’m 6’2″ so should be the right size, and I’ve used it for all the things you list.
    PM me for more details.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Hi Graham, sounds very interesting, can;t find your email in your profile?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Had my jake for about 6 years now, originally used it in CX guise, took it mountain biking and in local forests it kept up with the mtbs and over took them in deep mud but failed on steep drops, brakes were rubbish. I upgraded to a front mechanical disk and Vees on back and it did a lot better.

years later I fitted slicks and commuted 15 miles each way into london most days and it didnt feel sluggish, its not a racing whippet, its heavy and steering isnt road but it performed well.

I now use it for a mixed road and offroad commute, circa 20 miles, I’ve SS’d it and it happily does road duty and bridlepath/canal path duty.

its the bike i ride most, the others gather dust these days.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yep they’re great, my one is commuter, child carrier and has been round Cwmcarn a few times and not killed me.
    Only mod. is the rack and a 10mm shorter stem.

wors

I’ve a dew drop, similar I suppose to the Jake. It really is a versatile bike, mines a winter commute/tourer( when I get around to it)/ summer cx bike. I wouldn’t be without it.

repoman
    Free Member

Yes and no 🙂 Had it something over 2 years, absolutely love it. Replaced the brakes with Tektro 720s, rebuilt the wheels with Rigida Snyper rims (stock rims too narrow for 35mm semi-slicks), swapped the 30T ring for a 26T, and put a 11-32 cassette on. I’ll happily take it in the woods, on road rides, or a mixture of both, just adjust the tyre pressures according to the ride. When the weather’s nice, it replaces the commuter warhorse so that I can go and play on the way home. Seems to get a friendlier reaction from walkers than an MTB. Planning to use it for touring/bike-packing. My hardtail and FS rarely leave the house now, and when they do I pay far more attention to picking lines than I used to.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a major jake which does everything from sustrans to cheeky coastal path excursions and pisses off the mtbers on the climbs at afan go get to the forest roads,

joshvegas
    Free Member

I also have a dew drop I have fallen off it in all the guises you want it for:)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Kona Jake – Are they as versatile and fun as they look? Anyone looking to sell’ is closed to new replies.