Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Kona Humuhumu – Help Stop Me!
  • funkmasterp

Been looking for a winter commuter / messing about / everything other than MTB bike. For some reason the Kona Humuhumu has drawn me in. Retro craziness awaits unless the Singletrack can stop me from pressing the buy button. I know it’s probably completely impractical, but something is drawing me to it! Suppose it will go down as a very cheap(ish) midlife crisis 😀

JoB
    Free Member

one of the best fun bikes i’ve ever had, raced on it for a bit then it was pressed into town-and-back duties, frame + fork and box of bits still in the loft awaiting a respray and rebuild at some point

that’s not helping is it?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Nearly bought one myself last year, thought with a set of hydraulic brakes and perhaps some alternative tyres it would make a great run-around.

£535 seems to be the current going sales price, last winter they went down to ~£340, try and hold out a bit longer is my advice. 😉

buckster
    Free Member

I dont think anyone should be stopped from buying a Kona 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gnrrrk.

funkmasterp

Curse you all! 😆

I have some decent hydro discs kicking around too, so can’t even use that as an excuse.

Can it take mudguards?

qwerty
    Free Member

This was mine:

[/url]humu by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

Frame from Coastkid on here, built around some Record hubs i was given, IRC Lovers Soul tyres, a joy to ride.

Got stolen for 3 years, i then reclaimed it & sold it on (regrettably).

Its gotta be an old one or CFHs Ti one above!

😀

qwerty
    Free Member

If its a disc version, then that’d be a Deluxe in vintage flavours.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If you want pointless cruiser-esk bike looks, at least go for something that actually might stand a chance of admiring glances ie Trek Sawyer

funkmasterp

Ugh! Trek Sawyer looks likes it’s trying too hard IMO. The Kona looks more practical, if that’s a word that can even be applied to this. Kona is more MTB DNA, less a bike you’d see in a Gangsta film.

JoB
    Free Member

i tried to lift up a Trek Sawyer once

qwerty
    Free Member

funkmasterp – you need to go type Kona A Ha into eBay…. 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t like those bars it comes with, too wide.. needs some Marys on it I reckon.

funkmasterp

Mary’s would look good. None of you are helping me not buy one by the way. 🙂

That A Ha, although nice, is a bit heavy on the graphics.

thepodge
    Free Member

Had one, never built it, sold it

Would have a disc one in a flash and that Ti one even quicker if I could.

What’s going on with the forks and steerer on that green one.

wwaswas

What’s going on with the forks and steerer on that green one.

Kona’s approach to ‘suspension correcting’ their rigid forks was just to weld the crown on higher up the steerer. No, me neither.

funkmasterp

Anyone know if you can stick an Alfine or Nexus in the back? You’re all doing an absolutely sterling job of putting me off buying one. At least I can show this to Mr’s Funkmaster when it arrives….. I mean if, damn it, if 😐

toby1

You’re all doing an absolutely sterling job of putting me off buying one

If that was what you wanted, you probably came to the wrong website!

honourablegeorge

Why does it have two top tubes? Or one top tube and one middle tube, if we’re being pedantic. Either way, there’s a tube that doesn’t need to be there.

thepodge
    Free Member

I believe the technical term for the extra tube is a towel rail.

Can’t see any reason a nexus or alfine wouldn’t work on a humu

aa
    Free Member

Buy one, it’s a classic.

oldfart

I’ve got a Aha with the stars n bars paintjob ! P2s , lush machine Curve canti’s that will stop me eventually , bought it many moons ago for a £100 needing a new BB !

scaredypants

What was the kona with the curvy top tube? They were pretty

duuuh ! Anyone want to guess how long I’ve had this thread open ? 😳

flashes
    Free Member

I also owned the one owned by querty. Now gone full Clunker and love it…..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve fancied one too. But needs proper cruiser bars

funkmasterp

I’m now stuck between this (retro sweetness), genesis day one 10 or 20 (practical) or building up a Stooge (most expensive). Seriously leaning towards this though even though it’s by far the most unpractical of the bunch! Plus it’s available in orange, nearly all my bikes have been orange, including my current MTB.

thepodge
    Free Member

Why would you have a suspension corrected cruiser frame? All very odd

qwerty
    Free Member

I paid £40 for the frame, the forks came off eBay and we’re cheap. It was a budget build. The fork provided a great place to mount a Skully front light. That’s as deep as the build thought process went 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can it take mudguards?

Yep.

(I’m not helping, am I?)

funkmasterp

CFH, you are definitely not helping, but that is one gorgeous looking bike. What do you tend to use it for? Getting so close to just ordering one.

Even more so now I’ve just looked again and seen that mech hanger! So ss, hub or normal gears are all possible 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What do you tend to use it for?

Well, primarily I just use it as a picture I found on the interwebz to frustrate someone who’s thinking of buying one.

😀

Not mine!

The first pic I posted, though, is something I would happily have in my collection.

funkmasterp

*Shakes fist at cfh* honestly thought it was yours. It’s my other half that’ll be frustrated. I might just have a twinge of buyers remorse 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

I’d have a proper rack if it was mine. Not a fan of loading the seatpost too much. Also, low riders on the front. Better centre of gravity.

Also needs a proper flap.

Other than that, it does look rather lovely, doesn’t it?

thepodge
    Free Member

Oh my goodness, I have an old low spec kona frame that I was thinking of making into a bit of a rat / town bike, now I want to make it into something special having seen that last pic

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Kona Humuhumu – Help Stop Me!’ is closed to new replies.