Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Kona Howler – Front derailleur
  • stom
    Free Member

I'm on the cusp of buying a Kona Howler frame. Wanting to use it for a bit of everything from DJ to XC – I've got a Bullit as well for anything bigger. Does anyone know if the Howler can be fitted with a front derailleur or do the chain stays fowl it?

Rickos
    Free Member

I run mine as a 1 x 9 but I could have a look or take some detailed shots if you like. You may get away with one of the new SLX front mechs that are designed for a double ring so don't hang down so low. I run one of those on my hardtail, so could check some measurements – prolly at the weekend if you can wait that long.

Pic of mine here – http://www.flickr.com/photos/rick2/4334437797/sizes/o/

EDIT – looking at that shot it's likely that it would foul on the chainstay.

stom
    Free Member

Yeah, I thought as much! Oh well back to looking for a short travel 4x style frame that suits my need!

Rickos
    Free Member

What other frames have you got on your list?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

You could always fit an e-type E13 DRS..

stom
    Free Member

Other Frames i've considered are;

Intense Tazer/ Tazer VPO
    Foes 4x
    Yeti 4x
    Cove Hooker MX

All the above a expensive new and pretty hard to find second hand! Although i'd absolutely love one esppecially the Foes/Intense!

Kona Bass
    Kona Cowan
    Kona Howler

All the above suffer from the point that you can't run a front mech.

Da Bomb – Cherry Bomb/radium
    Commencal Meta 4x

Dont know much about these last 2.

Open to any other recomendations people may have!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

?

stom
    Free Member

I've always loved Nicolai bikes but the UFO DS has way too slack seat angle to cope with putting the saddle up for any longer riding! According to the Nicolai site the angle is 59.5degrees compared to something like a Tazer which is 73 degrees.

Fantastic bike though!

Rickos
    Free Member

Commie 4X would prolly be your best bet – cheaper and more available than the likes of the Intense, Cove and Foes and I think it has a stub for a front mech too. I'd love a Tazer myself.

XXX
    Free Member

I had a 2007 howler, the swing arm wont allow you to fit a front mech.
    Its a fun trail bike with 6 inch forks up front mind.

Rickos
    Free Member

It sure is. I've swapped the 200mm eye to eye shock for a 190mm one to lower it and slacken it a wee bit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Kona Howler – Front derailleur’ is closed to new replies.