• This topic has 36 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by td75.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Kona Explosif Titanium V steel
  • td75
    Free Member

Thinking of treating myself to a Kona Ti Explosif or steel frame. I’ve never had a titanium frame before, apart from the cost. Will I notice the weight difference between the steel v titanium one? In terms of fatigue life, is steel a more resilient material?

Also has anyone manage to fit 27.5 + tires in with the sliders right back?

qwerty
    Free Member

I’d expect the Ti frame to be significantly lighter than the steel. Fatigue life with either won’t be an issue. Lovely frame, especially in Ti, do it!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Ti frames normally weigh about a 1/3 less than equivalent steel frame.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    philjunior
    Free Member

To will be noticeably lighter. Fatigue really depends on design details and weld quality (not just how pretty they look…). I would note that whilst ti is very good for fatigue as a base metal, welding it without introducing fatigue issues is very tricky indeed.

td75
    Free Member

The Ti explosive frame looks lovely. I suppose I’m concerned about the frame eventually cracking etc. Which could be said of any frame material really but more important as said above, how it’s been put together.

steezysix
    Free Member

What’s the price difference? Given how often people talk about cracked Ti frames and the difficulty of repair, I’d go with steel. If you’re concerned about it being heavier, you could always spend what you save on some carbon rims to cut down rotating weight.

td75
    Free Member

The frame is expensive, as any Ti frame is. Good point about maybe going for the steel and putting on carbon rims, bars etc etc. Very timely, I did notice another thread on here about Ti repair.

TiRed

You won’t notice the difference out riding. But they are a nice thing to own. Sorry if that disappoints. I have a Ti cross bike and have had a Ti road bike. Lightness was not really the de-facto reason for owning them.

A Jones rider may be along presently…

td75
    Free Member

So the general consensus is to maybe go with the steel and add lightness Rather than the Ti which could need a repair down the road.

everyone
    Free Member

Steel might be real but titanium is magic…

Del

Ally is what bikes are made of. 😉
    If you want + there’s plenty of take out there.

bearnecessities

I never even knew there was an explosif ti now.

I have scratched every imaginable BITD bike itch and I am not googling how much an explosif ti is. No. No. No.

dovebiker

I doubt you’d notice the weight difference much when riding. Steel has a more ‘zingy’ feel, whereas ti better at taking out the buzz. Been riding titanium for nearly 20 years, I currently have 4 frames made from the stuff and never had one break. The nice thing about ti i that it stays looking good longer whereas a painted steel frame looks tired very quickly – just been rebuilding a 6 year-old ti frame into a SS CX, still looking good.

td75
    Free Member

bearnecessities – frame retails at £1699, and I’ve been offered 10% off, which hardly makes it a bargain. But it’s a looker.

I’m surprised you wouldn’t notice the weight difference when riding.

tall_martin

Ages and ages ago the magazine had a feature where they had a steel and ti charge duster with identical build kits.

If someone rode one they rode the other and had to describe the differences.

I can’t remember exactly what the conclusion was, it was not everyone preferred the ti one. There were lots of guesses about the difference..

Might be worth looking up or going premier for?

ctk
    Free Member

What’s the warranty on the frames?

Edit: Lifetime warranty on all frames, get which ever!

For me an explisif should be steel!

td75
    Free Member

I was told the Ti frames had life time warranty if registered on the website within 3 months.

ctk
    Free Member

Yep that’s what it says on the website.

td75
    Free Member

ctk – It’s kind of my thoughts as well about a steel explosif. I’ve already got a Unit 29er, but I want the Explosif for a little bit of rough and tumble.

TheGingerOne

I believe you would notice the difference in weight, based on my experience. I had an On One steel inbred (their DN6 tubing) and then bought one of their original Tinbred frames. I swapped all the components across and the Tinbred was, felt and rode lighter.
    I know frames have moved on from back then, but I think you would notice it myself

Del

Conversely I had a dn6 frame and went for an 853 and couldn’t tell the difference.
    Lots of people will say steel is real, but it mostly makes low volume manufacturing easier is all.

andykirk
    Free Member

Funnily enough the only bike I have owned that I didn’t like was Ti. I just remember it feeling a bit dead.

oldfart

I’ve got a Kona Raijin Ti 29er , had it nearly 5 years , hasn’t aged at all , pity I can’t say the same 🙁 If you are anywhere near Somerset feel free to take a look . Made by Lynskey , ignore the usual it’ll crack nonsense , every so often I get an itch to sell it and buy something slacker with longer travel , who knows you might catch me in one of those moods !

oldfart

I see you mentioned plus wheels , there was a Raijin on the Kona blog back along the owner had shoehorned plus wheels into . I asked Kona about it , there reply ” some people like colouring in outside the lines ” he mentioned warranty wouldn’t be honoured.

Bez

Conversely I had a dn6 frame and went for an 853 and couldn’t tell the difference.

Which isn’t surprising given that they’re both steel and your frames probably had similar tube profiles.

jameso

Ages and ages ago the magazine had a feature where they had a steel and ti charge duster with identical build kits.

If someone rode one they rode the other and had to describe the differences.

I can’t remember exactly what the conclusion was, it was not everyone preferred the ti one. There were lots of guesses about the difference..
    What that said to me is that Charge made the 2 bikes to a very similar stiffness level and most people don’t really notice 1lb or so in frame weight unless they’re expecting to because they know it in advance.

A Jones rider may be along presently…

🙂 I have a steel and a Ti Jones, same geometry, they couldn’t be more different in ride feel though. They were designed to be like that.

ie, get whatever material you like, just be happy it was designed to do what you want. Some of the worst hardtails I’ve ridden have been ti, way too flexible. Some of the most dull-feeling were steel. Nicest bikes I’ve ridden have also been ti and steel.

td75
    Free Member

Jameso – So what’s was the difference in ride quality between the Steel and Ti Jones?

oldfart – Definitely want the Explosif. I’ve already got a 2015 steel Unit and I absolutely love it. It’s a keeper reminds me of my 1992 Lava Dome I had in my teens. I’ve always wanted an Explosif, and these new ones remind me of that Eagle Speedster on Top Gear. All the looks of the original but with all the modern additions.

Bugger, woke up this morning and I thought I’ll get the steel, but now. Damn.

philjunior
    Free Member

So the general consensus is to maybe go with the steel and add lightness Rather than the Ti which could need a repair down the road.

If you did need to repair it it’s far easier to get a durable repair on steel.
    Not sure what the difference in price is but if your funds aren’t unlimited you may well end up with a lighter bike based on the steel frame.

td75
    Free Member

Triton Cycles have the 2015 Explosif frame for £369. The Ti Explosif is £1699. Both frames have life-time warranty so I suppose repairs aren’t an issue really.

In terms of build. If I was getting the Ti, I suppose I’d get a really nice set of Carbon rims and Sid’s etc etc. Something like that anyway.

It’s a shame you can’t get titanium 650b P2’s

mt
    Free Member

Have 4 Ti frames in our household and had a couple of others previously and never had a frame issue, always been good to ride. Had several steel, ally, and carbon frames and only ever had ally frame issues. Ti frames do ride different, a little more forgiving depending on the bike. Steel frames can be almost as good if not better at times. Have fun.

nostoc
    Free Member

expensif?

jamj1974

Seriously nice bike.

#jealous!

pahoehoe
    Free Member

If any bike should be steel it’s an explosif. With that price differential there’s no logical reason to buy the ti. But ti bikes aren’t really logical purchases. I owned a ti hei hei and a alley pahoehoe with almost identical geometry and there was a difference but it was slight and mostly psychological/weight related – the hei hei was 22lb and rideable all day comfortably and reliably. Main benefits I found were no rust and with a bit of buffing could make the ti frame look new. I also sold the ti frame for 800 a few years ago – it was nearly 15 years old and was ridden loads. The ally had a flint v thin alley downtube incident relegating it to turbo duties.

td75
    Free Member

So I decided to treat myself and went for the Titanium version. Currently collecting some parts over the winter for a build. I’m thinking mostly a black stealth build.

Frame takes 120mm forks. Any recommendations on what would work well with the frame. I’ve seen some used Rockshox Sid XX World Cup 100mm.

I ride mostly rigid so don’t know much about what fork would work well. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

superstu
    Free Member

Great thread resurrection, no help on forks I just want a photo of the bike when it’s built up please!

johnnystorm

Wouldn’t bother with used forks when you can get some new Fox forks for 200 euros.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Special-Offers/fox-suspension-sale/forks/

Bravo for taking the Ti option. :mrgreen:

td75
    Free Member

superstu Absolutely, will try and upload pictures of the frame over the weekend.

johnnystorm Thanks for the link, thats definitely the better option.

I must admit, love the orange ones. I think we need a Ti / sliver bike inspiration thread.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Kona Explosif Titanium V steel’ is closed to new replies.