Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Kona Entourage vs Canyon Torque? Help please!
  • ryderredman
    Free Member

Hello, Looking at getting my first full DH rig as I think I’ve served my time on my 14″ HT and have realized that I’m just far too big for it being a 37″ inseam. I’m looking for help on deciding what is better value for money and would love to hear from anyone who’s dealt with canyon (or more specifically a torque from canyon!) and if they had any issues?

I’ve narrowed it down to the entourage or the torque. The torque no matter what model for ~£1700 has immense bang for buck, however, the refined nature, simplicity and price of the entourage draw me in. It also seems to get awesome write ups!

Spec for those that are interested: Canyon Torque

Kona

The other argument is that since the entourage would be from CRC would any warranty/issues be easier than with canyon?

Thanks in advance guys!

chakaping
    Free Member

full DH rig

Entourage is a freeride bike. 180mm travel and single crown fork rather than 200mm travel and (probably) a dual crown fork on the Canyon – which will also be a bit slacker and longer.

Try to get a go on DH and FR bikes and see which you prefer riding, if you’re not sure.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Entourage is a freeride bike. 180mm travel and single crown fork rather than 200mm travel and (probably) a dual crown fork on the Canyon – which will also be a bit slacker and longer.

Try to get a go on DH and FR bikes and see which you prefer riding, if you’re not sure.

Yeh sorry, should have really put “First Full Suss!” I think no matter what I get its going to be drastically different from my mini 140mm DJ.

I’m more just asking you this as your the only one to respond so far but, do you maybe think the entourage would be a better idea as I’m a beginner? With the lesser travel?

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re not planning to ride up anything and you;re into DH sort of stuff then I think both would be excellent choices.

The price of the Entourage at CRC did tempt me too I’ll admit.

I dunno if either would be better for a beginner as such, depends where you;re riding I guess. Though the Kona will ride more like a normal bike and less like a floppy barge.

EDIT: By the last bit I meant DH bikes can be a bit lifeless and slow on flatter trails.

ryderredman
    Free Member

haha thanks chaka! So I’m not just being tight! Its mostly at a local place called Farmer Johns MTB park but looking to get the bigger travel bike so that I could maybe venture out to Macc Forest and maybe Stiniog.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve never been to Macc Forest but the Entourage would be fine at Stiniog.

ianv
    Free Member

The torque in that link is only 185mm travel (like the entourage) so they are comparable in a lot of ways. The Canyon is way better equipped for the money though and much as I am a big fan of Konas, I would be tempted by the torque.

Either will be fine for anything you are likely to ride anywhere. You just might be a bit slower than on a 200mm DH bike.

MSP

Go one model up on the canyon, the whipzone, and you have a 200mm travel dual crown bike, with the option to convert to 180mm freeride bike with the trackfilp and some 180mm second hand forks at a future date. It is 2 bikes in one.

The canyon you can also get optituned for your wheight, for an extra 50 quid, on the kona it will cost you more than that just for the springs, and then you will have to fit them youreself or pay to get it done.

scruff
    Free Member

I had a Spesh Bighit (size M, mini-DH esque) and now have a proper DH bike. The littler bike was easier to jump on and ride, took no mental adjustment to get used to it. However the big DH bike (size L so even more biggerer) took a while to get used to, needs manhandling and more effort, but you can go bigger/ faster once you understand the angles / wheelbase.

IME I dont think the suspension travel will be the main factor, its the combination of angles of the dangles, wheelbase, suspension progression and stiffosity.

I love my DH bike and wouldnt want to change it now, whereas my mate just sold his DH and bought a freeridey type bike and loves it.

edit- just buy the one which looks best.

rs
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of 180mm bikes, a Bullit and a Faith, both decent bikes but nothing compared to a full on DH bike (Flatline), the geometry and extra bit of suspension make a huge difference.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Thanks for all your suggesstions guys, MSP thats an awesome idea! I’ve got even more to think about now because my mates just shown me the YT Tues!

ianv
    Free Member

if you are going for a full dh bike then this is also worth a look:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=95394

alpin
    Free Member

I’m more just asking you this as your the only one to respond so far but, do you maybe think the entourage would be a better idea as I’m a beginner? With the lesser travel?

if you really are a beginner i’d suggest not buying a big, slurppy DH/freeride bike. easier to learn skills and progress on a HT or short travel FS. lots of travel doesn’t mean you’ll be going faster.

worth a read, perhaps:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/The-Argument-For-Short-Travel-Bikes-Opinion-2012.html

but if you are determined to buy a big-bike then i’d say go with the Canyon. a friend has one and despite it weighing 17kg he still manages to ride it up hill competently.
    the Torque always gets good reviews here in Germany. lots of kit for the money. better components than the Kona.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oops, I didn’t click your link. Had been looking at the Boxxer-equipped canyon myself before and assumed you were on about that.

I’d get the Kona and upgrade with a Totem later if the fork wasn’t up to the job. Domains are pretty decent though.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Hey alpin, I’ve been dipping my foot into DH for about a year now with 2 years of peaks riding before that. I’d like to say that I’m not a beginner when it comes to riding but have been using my HT for a year now and I’d like to think that I’ve earns myself the balls or cojones to warrant myself a big burly bike to further my riding on 🙂 will still have my BFe for anything that isn’t DH!

Thanks for recommending the torque!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Kona Entourage vs Canyon Torque? Help please!’ is closed to new replies.