Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Kona Blast – too heavy for kids 1st 26er?
  • kitebikeski
    Free Member

In my search for a bike for 10 yr old son moving up from a 24″ wheeled bike I have come accross a 2010 kona blast. It seems reasonably spec’d, but kinda heavy. On one hand this should be durable for trips to the jump park, but will I/he regret the extra weight for XC?

Could always slim it down a bit with some lighter tyres, but don’t want to get into major rebuild expense.

Anyone have any experience of these?

meehaja
    Free Member

my mate had one, it seemed adequate, he still rides it now, albeit with some fox forks as his XC hardtail.

Xar
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the weight of the blast but i got my 10 year old daughter a Trance X4 as her first 26er and she’s been flyng around on it quite happily and i’m guessing its got a bit more weight in it than the blast so he should be ok.

br
    Free Member

Pretty much all kids bikes (and small sized adult ones) are too heavy, as they’ve the same (and often cheaper) bits as adult ones.

Why is he moving from 24’s?

kitebikeski
    Free Member

He’s moving up from 24’s because he’s grown, and his spesh hotrock is totally shagged.

br
    Free Member

Only ask, as my 12 year old is still on 24’s…

kitebikeski
    Free Member

He could go with the hotrock for longer, but the cost of refurbishment got to £160 without looking too closely, and without addressing the issue of the suspension bushes/bearings being sorted. He’s done an impressive job of wearing it out!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Kona Blast – too heavy for kids 1st 26er?’ is closed to new replies.