Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Kona Blast BB
  • hammyuk
    Free Member

Guys have just acquired a Kona Blast frame and need to put a bottom bracket and headset in it.
    What sizes am I looking for?
    Have no issues building any of this up but am a bit behind times when it comes to measuring it all

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

does it have an old bb and headset in it??

What year is it? what cranks/forks are you putting on?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Nope – bare frame.
    No idea on the year – just that it’s a Blast – THIS ONE

bigyinn
    Free Member

Depends what cranks you’re going to put in it really. Shimano M770 cranks aint gonna be much use if you put a square taper BB in it.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Any 1 1/8″ standard press fit headset will fit.

Bottom Bracket – depends on the cranks

hammyuk
    Free Member

Cheers – have a new set of Shimano square taper but was looking at a decent upgrade from that.

z1ppy

BB sizing norminally depend on the BB width (68 or 73mm in this case) & the crankset. The crankset will determine the chainline, normally somewhere around 45-47.5mm. Assuming you going to buy a hollowtech II BB or one make or another, all the spacers you need for either 68 or 73mm BB are included along with instructions.

EDIT: If the square taper cranks are ok, just grab a UN26 BB off CRC and be done with it…

hammyuk
    Free Member

Are the internal threads a specific size?
    I’d rather put the square tapers on the wife’s bike and get a complete new set on the new frame.

The forks are Marzochi Bombers.

mamadirt
    Free Member

There you go! It’s a 2007.

Are the internal threads a specific size?

No, hollowtech or sq taper should fit fine (if sq taper, then measure the BB shell first to determine whether it’s 68 or 73mm – as said above hollowtech will come with spacers to suit both).

hammyuk
    Free Member

Great – anyone recommend a chainset/BB combo in 160/165mm 9 speed?

z1ppy

Shimano Slx if you can afford it, deore if you can’t would be my suggestion, XT is nice but gets expensive for not a lot of gain. Check out rose bikes (German mail order – quick & great service) for prices on both, they were the cheapest a while back. Remember you’ll also need a HT II tool to install the BB cups.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Right – settled on this do I need to worry about it being “BSA thread”?

hammyuk
    Free Member

?

z1ppy

Sorry, when I saw this last night I was totally thrown by the BSA thread bit, as I’d not seen/come across that before. Wiki and Sheldon Brown’s site say it’s the STD thread… So yes go ahead and get them, just remember to buy the STD 175MM size [which is not default on the site], unless you need specically need 170mm’s.

170 vs 175 debate, just in case you not come across it before

hammyuk
    Free Member

Well according to Sheldon I should be on 165’s so I think I’ll go for the 170’s.
    Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Kona Blast BB’ is closed to new replies.