Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Kona 1988-1997 – WTF Happened Then?
  • Alex

ADH – did I take that photo of you in the quantocks… that pink bike in the background looks familiar 😉

I loved Konas… my first full suss (manomano) bit after 98 and then a couple of retro ones and a Stinky that was brilliant at chicksands. Ridden and abused by many, refused to die.

Kona Stinky – March 04 – May 05 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr
    Not sure of the year…

Kona Kilauea by Alex Leigh, on Flickr
    Probably shouldn’t have sold it but…

Kona Caldera – May 03 – July 05 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr
    Or that… 90% ace, 10% orrid forks.

kona ManoMano June 00 – Sep 02 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr
    yellow pages mode* “That stem and bars…”

I do think the latest ones look great, but seem to have lost that special kona thing whatever it was.

molgrips
    Free Member

For me, this has all the thing in the world. Looks fab 🙂

As for the magic link – I’ve heard good things, but not ridden one.

thepodge
    Free Member

that does look good but at first I thought you were taking the piss and had posted a Trek

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ianv
    Free Member

The cliché that always gets trotted out about konas dated suspension design is just ridiculous. If it worked, why change it? and the people that come out with it are usually the same people that cream themselves over a single pivot from halifax that has seen way less innovation.

Comments about vfm are also wide of the mark since no one seems to sell konas at rrp (brand new stinky deluxes for around £1700 etc). The only problem kona has had in the last few years was some ropey graphics

NZCol

I have a 1989 Explosif that everytime i ride it has people asking what it is and where can they buy one.

Buy a time machine boys, this ones the real deal.

Really fckn uncomfortable deal actually.

pickle
    Free Member

always loved the old Kona’s, had a few of them and they all rode and looked the nuts! I agree with the guy who said they lost it with the big square fronted alloy frames, should’ve stuck with the great looking steel ones…..and as for that prototype thing? that has to be THE ugliest thing i’ve seen since susan boyle!

OCB
    Free Member

mazdarati- My father dumped my old Kona a few years ago after a long spell of idleness in the garage. (92 Fire Mountain).

🙁

Granted my ’92 fire mountain is now some considerable distance from anything like original spec, (only the frame and the seatpost remain) but it’s still ridden more than anything else I own, and it will be the very last bike I ever get rid of.

It’s done *everything*, raced, toured, commuted, been dragged around riding endurance events … it’s been variously geared and suspended in it’s life, but now, as a rigid, singlespeed it’s the most fun it’s ever been.

(Most recently photographed about a week ago, and no, that’s not my wall …).

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

ADH – did I take that photo of you in the quantocks… that pink bike in the background looks familiar

Yes sir, you did indeed 🙂

And the one below IIRC.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Yes, the Kona Buffer does look like a good deal, Kona seem to be making some ace bikes at the moment. Back to their old ways maybe?

pickle
    Free Member

Ohhhh yeah! that does look better!!

juan
    Free Member

As for the magic link – I’ve heard good things, but not ridden one.

Well I have ridden one, quite a fair bit in my garden. And I only have good things to say 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What does the magic link actually do?

I’m just interested to know.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

OCB, that looks like a brilliant bike.

Magic link explained I reckon it sounds rather good, would love to have a test ride.

juan
    Free Member

Is the Magic Link any good? What does it feel like to ride?

What does the magic link actually do?

Well the link change the bike travel and geometry. Well pedalling uphill your weight goes (comes?) forward the travel shorten and the angle steepen. The going downhill your weight goes backward and the opposite occurs. Angles slacken and the travel increases.
    As I said I have ridden one. It was last year model. Front end a bit to close and to steep for me (with the Fox 32). New models have fixed that, but you can get some “official bodge” from kona europe. But I kinda liked the rear suspension, “magic” bit is you can actually feel the bike going all racey when going up. Then when going down it feels quite bottom less. To be fair I’d love to try a 2011 one as I like slacker bike and this one was a bit disturbing. The transition along the “magic link stroke” is not perceivable there is no hard spot or clunky noise or anything. But you really have to set up the bike properly.
    I hope this helps despite the horrible english

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Thanks folks, it realy does sound like a good device.

Now all I need to do is have a go on one!

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Kona 1988-1997 – WTF Happened Then?’ is closed to new replies.