Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Knoydart
  • mikejd

Has anyone ridden or walked from Glendessary to Inverie? I’ve read reports which say that parts are rideable but much would be hike-a-bike and that most walkers take two days.

Marko

Yes . . .

Many years ago (B.D. – Before Disks). Absolute epic with a bivvy and Pub session at Inverie and a return the next day. Plan went askew as the Pub kitchen was closed for refurbishment and the Beer was off – well there was some keg crud and I think we ate all the crisps in the village.

Only one monster hike-a-bike section climbing out of the Carnoch valley from what I remember.

Hth
    Marko

mikejd

Thanks, Marko. Can it be ridden in one day in each direction?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Yes, as part of a C2C last year. With a fully laden bike it was f*kin awful, but well worth it by the time I got to the pub! The initial climb out of Glen Desarry is on a decent trail, but quickly turns to boggy ST and, weather dependant, can be difficult to navigate on the upper reaches. Lots of burns to navigate, so you WILL get wet. I did it in torrential conditions, and the lochs at the top were way over the path on the south side, which meant lots of hike a bike, and I don’t think I’ve ever cursed as much whilst out on my bike. To make matters worse, the descent to Sourlies was partly unrideable with lots of kit, oh and you’re a long way from anywhere by this point so be careful! I stayed in Sourlies Bothy, which is awesome, as a good resting point, and was woken to sound of hundreds of deer wandering around the sea loch just outside the door….simply well worth the brutal previous day!
    Next day was the short steep up and over to Inverie, probably 3hours in total. Push up followed by one of the best descents in the highlands! BTW in sept last year this area was infested by ticks, and I reckon I pulled 30-40 out of my legs on that last climb-so take a remover and/or where longs for this part. End up at The Old Forge for well deserved pints

Marko

Can it be ridden in one day in each direction?

I don’t see why not, given good weather and a long summer day. . . However I’d want to take a minimal bivvy kit with me. A major mechanical could leave you facing a very long walk.

We did it in February in good weather BTW.
    Hth
    Marko

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Knoydart’ is closed to new replies.