Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Knowledgeable about Scottish Art?
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

Does anyone know the painting by a Scottish artist of a worker reading a book, I think it’s his tea-break or something and I can’t remember if he’s a steelworker or a docker, but it’s industrial and from memory the colours are dark with black, deep browns, reds and oranges.
    I think it’s in the Kelvingrove art gallery. I’m trying to find an image of it and who the artist is.
    Thanks.

gordimhor

Have you tried Peter Howson it could have been his choice of subject?

maccruiskeen

If its the sort of thing you’ll have seen in a museum (you might have seen it in Kelvingrove but it might have been on loan to them), most museum / gallery collections are now online although how searchable the database is I’m not sure

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/

sniff
    Free Member
    vorlich
    Free Member

Surely the STW resident Scottish artist would know…

meikle_partans
    Free Member

ken currie would be another guess

user-removed
    Free Member

Aye, one of the New Glasgow Boys by the sounds of it. McMoonter would know…

kcal

Jo, Peter Howson more than likely – hulking figures, vague air of menace / vulnerability?

I would give some other names a try, loosely the New Glasgow Boys (edit – as above!) – Steven Campbell is an outside possibility, Stephen Conroy (again even less likely)..

kcal

Found what I think might be it, Jo – had to scour my bookshelves 🙂 from “The Vigorous Imagination”

Ken Currie, well spotted by that man ^^^^ – “The Self-Taught Man”

variation here but above sound feasible..
    http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/10248/lot/280/

— Callum

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I think Meikle Partan has it. I always found Ken Currie’s paintings more persuasive than the comic caricatures in Peter Howsons.

When first saw the post I thought Jo was looking for something from an earlier age.

kcal

re-reading the original request posted, I’d agree – one I found doesn’t match up on colours or detailed description, though superficially a loose match 🙁

jojoA1
    Free Member

Hi all, the reason I’m looking is because I was told about the use of a Howson pic on the First Minister’s Christmas card and when I saw it it reminded me of the other painting I’m thinking of. I think it is probably a Ken Currie as in my mind it is a combination of the colours in the painting by mieklePartans and the subject matter of the pic Kcal has posted. Need a trip to Kelvingrove to check. Pretty sure it’s a permanent exhibit. Definitely a New Glasgow Boy style.
    Thanks for your efforts. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Knowledgeable about Scottish Art?’ is closed to new replies.