• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Knowing you are going to be ill…
  • DrP

How annoying is it, that feeling of ‘brewing’ a sore throat, or just the very minor beginnings of a cold?!

My son’s been at nursery for 4 months (I really should pick him up, boom boom…) and of course is bringing the new variations of old favourite illnesses home :-/

I guarantee tomorrow I wake up with:
    -full blown conjunctivitis (“pink eye”) of my left eye
    -a cracking sore throat

Hmm, off to bed to let the nasties breed…

DrP

Hohum
    Free Member

LOL

Been there, done that, won the t-shirt!

It gets easier, in about 10 years time, once your immune system has been adapted 😉

Ho hum

Father of 3 young children

PS. You do have my sympathies (and probably my wife’s as well!)

Guybrush
    Free Member
    scaredypants

you’d better hope your son doesn’t get a pink eye – that was one of the few things that “our” nursery wouldn’t tolerate !

djglover
    Free Member

We have twins, they get it in relay: leading to having to take all your holiday for their sick days. And you still have to pay the fees. I love my kids but burning £50’s would have been more efficient

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How annoying is it, that feeling of ‘brewing’ a sore throat, or just the very minor beginnings of a cold?!

I don’t find it annoying at all. On the contrary, I find the early warnings extremely useful as I can take some immediate action such as mega doses of vit C plus zinc and echinacea. Often it will either result as just a very mild cold or if I’m lucky, it will stop the cold getting a hold at all. I would also recommend First Defence.

It’s when I go to bed with no signs of any cold at all and then wake up to discover a fully blown cold, which I find really annoying.

druidh
    Free Member

As parents, we must have been doing something wrong as we never had this issue about illnesses being brought home form nursery or school.

Hohum
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    As parents, we must have been doing something wrong as we never had this issue about illnesses being brought home form nursery or school.

Some people just seem to rarely pick up colds, sniffles and a little bit more serious bugs.

It would seem like you are one of those as well.

A lady who used to work for me was like that. I was very envious of her immune system.

druidh
    Free Member

Mibbe it’s coz we is manky at home?
    😀

DrP

Scowls at Druidh whilst trying not to rub his eye…..!

DrP

Ticklinjock

Get some tomatoes and scoff them at the first signs.
    Works for me.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s just a clear sign that you pick your nose and eat it Druidh 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hey, spare a thought for those of us who work in nurseries . . . immunity? . . . what immunity? . . . there’s no hope for us 😕

Hohum
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    It’s just a clear sign that you pick your nose and eat it Druidh

Cor! I do that all the time and it does not help me 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Awww shit, well there goes my Nobel prize for curing the common cold. 🙁

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I hear you mamadirt, 10 years of working outdoors and thinking I had had very cold going and was essentially over it for life, 4 years of teaching and the sniffles have barely left me! From gentle sniffles to man flu to full blown flu…
    I am sure I heard that there are “only” 300ish cold viruses and you never get the same one twice, gotta be getting close!

druidh
    Free Member

Ho hum – Member
    The Southern Yeti – Member
    > It’s just a clear sign that you pick your nose and eat it Druidh
    Cor! I do that all the time and it does not help me

Want me to send you some of mine?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Want me to send you some of mine?

Proper :lol:, and on that note I’m going to bed.

chewkw
    Free Member

This year’s flu was particular bad for me, three weeks ago, as I get very dry cough with incredible aches all over not to mention my head was spinning most of the time. Think it was the swine flu as it is making a come back … 😯

Did not take anything except some whiskey with honey and some buttercup syrup during bed time.

Oh ya … keep warm and sleep or at least take time off.

😕

ivantate
    Free Member

sometimes it is nice to have an early warning but you generally feel half bad for longer if you try to fight it.

We are having it bad at the moment, I fly nearly every week, the missus is a teacher and the boy is in nursery 5 days a week.

iDave
    Free Member

I have the type of sore throat that I know from many years experience becomes a chest infection in about 5 days. Great timing. Damn.

hora
    Free Member

Careful with the nursery comments drP. You will have the handringing girlymen fathers after you.

prettygreenparrot

@ernie_lynch. Do you have much evidence to support taking such a variety of stuff? The Vitamin C one is doubtful . The NIH says similar things citing the Cochrane review.

Zinc Interesting. I wonder about the absorption & distribution of zinc after dosing as this review is not compelling.

echinacea sounds hit & miss.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

@ernie_lynch. Do you have much evidence to support taking such a variety of stuff?

I have no evidence at all, apart from what I’ve already said of course, ie, “Often it will either result as just a very mild cold or if I’m lucky, it will stop the cold getting a hold at all”.

So just “often” or if “I’m lucky” then. Whilst if for whatever reasons I don’t take my little cocktails, out of stock, away from home, etc, then I find that invariably the cold will always develop fully and often be quite severe.

I haven’t personally subjected myself to any ongoing medical research so that the difference between when I take the C, zinc, & echinacea, at the first sign of a cold, and when I don’t, can be carefully independently scrutinised to establish whether any of those alleged remedies have a positive effect on my immune system, or whether any perceived beneficial results is purely the consequence of a placebo effect.

I just know that often it will either result as just a very mild cold or if I’m lucky, it will stop the cold getting a hold at all.

Although I do find ivantate comment : “you generally feel half bad for longer if you try to fight it” very interesting. I have on occasions noticed that I have had very mild symptoms for a considerable length of time, which has required constant C, zinc, & echinacea, although the cold never becomes ‘fully blown’. I can’t see the logic behind that though.

hora
    Free Member

Zinc stops my migraines.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Knowing you are going to be ill…’ is closed to new replies.