Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Knowing when to say goodbye.
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Collective advice required: Since getting the stumpjumper I’ve not riden my epic. Nor even felt like I wanted to. So when Di you know it’s time to sell on your bikes? Don’t need to get rid of it. It’s only space but not riding it feels like a waste.
    How will I know it’s time to say goodbye?

richi
    Free Member

if your not using it i see no point watching it gather dust, flog it and use the money for nice shiney parts on the stumpy or beer, beer is good

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s a Specialized.

It will devalue like a stone.

Sell it now while it’s worth something.

Then buy beer. 🙂

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Since getting the stumpjumper I’ve not riden my epic.

Gotcha.

So, I’d advise keeping the ‘epic’ around for those days ‘stumpjumper’ is unrideable. Always prudent to have a ‘bike’ in reserve. 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

n+1….

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Definitely need a spare bike for when the favourite is broken.

Maybe sell off and get a nice hardtail. Great fun and contrast to the Stumpy.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Thought about a crosser but that’ll be just another bike. Thankfully the wife is only one bike behind me so the cellar is getting packed down there.

daveh
    Free Member

If its just a bike, sell it. If you have some attachment to it: have had it a long time, brought your riding on massively, went on some great adventures/road trips, broke yourself on it; keep it. Even then just keeping the frame will usually suffice, you can still build it back in future but with better parts (watch out for changing standards though). I have an 06 Rocky Ridge hung up in the garage, its going nowhere.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s a Specialized.
    It will devalue like a stone.
    [/quote
    Actually they keep their value very well. If you’ve ever sold one, or bought one used, on eBay you’ll know all about that.
    Very good, well made bikes will always sell well and you don’t get much better than a Spesh. 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I didn’t have much choice – some bugger stole my hack bike yesterday!

Mind you, it was completely shagged and ive been wanting a purpose built singlespeed for commuting/hacking duties for a while now…

..bike shopping!

globalti
    Free Member

I have the same problem with my Global; I haven’t ridden it for over six months now and it’s taking up space, yet it represents the culmination of 20 years of mountain biking and was my ultimate bike self-build so there’s a lot of emotional juju attached to it. Road riding is so much more exciting than mountain biking that I’m reluctant even to take the Tricross off tarmac.

What to do?

andrewh
    Free Member

I have a 1999 Marin AT, my first ‘proper’ bike, trigger’s brush with so many new bits.
    I will never, ever sell it. It’s been through so much with me. Only gets used about twice a year now (actua;y three times last year) as the main pivot has about had it and it needs a service after about 3hrs!
    On the hunt for a ‘replacement’, I’ll sell the bits but when I get my own place the frame is going on the wall.
    Other bikes? Just when I need/fancy/can afford an upgrade.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Knowing when to say goodbye.’ is closed to new replies.