Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Knolly Chilcotin v banshee spitfire
  • ash.addy
    Free Member

The end of my eBay auction is growing close for my knolly Chilcotin. I’m starting to have doubts on whether I should still sell and buy a 650b banshee spitfire. If I keep the Chilcotin I’ll probably put a cane creek air on it and keep at 26 inch wheels for ever. I need the Singletrack massives advice on this one. To help me confirm either way.
    The Chilcotin has never been built as it was a replacement (out of warranty deal) for an endorphin.

So guys help me decide

Cheers
    Ash

mmel
    Free Member

Having just got back from thrashing my Spitfire round some amazingly dry dusty forest trails, and having never riddes a Chilcotin, I of course would say buy a Spitfire… now! (But put 26inch wheels on it for that retro feel!)

ash.addy
    Free Member

🙂 Just thinking that Chilcotin might be too much bike here in South Wales. Any other opinions?

beagle
    Free Member

The Chilco is an awesome bike. I’ve seen the eBay ad and your ponderings on here. I have a first gen endorphin which is ace (and has been for years!) around the peak and the odd up lift day. The frame is heavier than your Chilco frame.. I’d say its not too much bike if you’re riding proper tech trails and odd uplifts etc. Despite advice to the contrary no doubt on mtbr, I’d be tempted to build it a little lighter than most builds on there.

Scratching your itch will cost a lot more than the actual benefits of riding a warden/any other latest and greatest 650b. You have an awesome frame there! Unless of course you can afford a wholesale change, then I say be quick and order up a warden!

ash.addy
    Free Member

Thanks beagle that’s what I needed. I’ll go with a cc air with pedal lock. I’ve got a lyric uturn at the mo then the std saint brakes, xt cranks, xtr rear mech, xt shifters and Chris king hubs and 819 rims. Thanks for the confirmation just needed that push. It’s much appreciated.

Regards

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Spitfire the only bike in your mind? Transition Covert or Bandit perhaps? There was a thread here the other day saying the Covert was the best bike ever and if it said it here then it must be true.

Not that I am biased or anything 😀

John

ash.addy
    Free Member

John think I’ll keep the Chilcotin for now might just keep it for good such good reviews and all those people can’t be wrong.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d keep the Chilcotin! My Spitfire is massively awesome but if it becomes too common I’ll lose an awful lot of niche cred… 😉

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Fair enough, good choice on the double barrel air CS. The best air shock on the market. Everyone says it and it is true!

John

travo
    Free Member

Definitely keep the chilcotin. I’ve got one with a ccdba and wouldn’t swap it for anything, built up with 55rc3 ti’s it weighs 31.4lbs and pedals fine but still handles the downhill, jumps etc as well as my old delirium it replaced.

Its my third knolly now and can’t really see me moving to another brand anytime soon

ash.addy
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting to see what weight it comes in at when I he it built. Then comes a bit of tinkering possibly. Ii definitely think I’ve made the right decision. If I get that 27.5 itch again I’ll put the wheels and a new fork on my evil sovereign:)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Knolly Chilcotin v banshee spitfire’ is closed to new replies.