Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Knocking through the wall between 2 rooms – reduce house value?
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have a 2 bedroom flat in Edinburgh city centre
    The rooms are a decent size, but it would be nice to knock through the wall between one bedroom and the living room and just sleep in the other bedroom since I live by myself.

But would that lower the value of my flat since it would now be a 1 bedroom instead of a 2 bedroom even though the sq.m stays the same?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It wouldn’t cost much to put a stud wall back in, so if it did you could fix it easily. Go for it.

jam-bo

Probably.

wwaswas

you copuld always just reinstate the missing wall when you come to sell.

I knew a couple who did this. They got a letter from the freeholder telling them to reinstate the wall as originally built as it was a breach of their lease to change the internal layout of the flat.

Also, is it a supporting wall?

Generally, more bedrooms = higher price, imo, regardless of flat sq metres.

benp1

Yes, would lower the value as while the size (in sq ft/m) is the same, people generally like the 2nd bedroom and you’ll have more buyers

Having to pay to put in the 2nd bedroom means people will factor that into the price

joshvegas
    Free Member

Look at the price of one bedroom flats compared to two in roughly the area.

That massive price difference is not down to the wallpaper…

You need a fair bit of planning permission to make changes to the layout in a flat in scotland

sas78

Yes, you may significantly reduce the value and definitely the desirability at resale because you are creating a one bed from a two bed, which seems bonkers to me, but I do get your logic. If it’s right for you and you are not moving soon or looking to maximize value then look into it.

You will definitely need a building warrant, you may well need a Structural Engineer (assuming it’s a tenement type flat) and if it’s structural then you may need deep pockets! I would strongly advise professional advice from an Architect and Engineer.

Josh – I’d seriously doubt you’d need planning permission, but please advise further if you know better.

martinhutch

Would be a lot cheaper to move to somewhere with a bigger living room.

lesgrandepotato

If one is the cludgie quite probably.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Josh – I’d seriously doubt you’d need planning permission, but please advise further if you know better.

For a flat apparently you do colleague got caught out mid sale had to provide insurance against having to put it back to original.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

They got a letter from the freeholder

Scotchland so no freeholder, may need the permission of the factors if you have them.

No warrant is needed if it is only a stud wall.

Yes it would reduce the value, although you could reinstate it. Can’t you use the second bedroom for something that doesn’t need a wall knocked down?

wallop

Planning permission to knock an internal wall down? Really?

aracer
    Free Member

…and then put in a wall to make an extra bedroom when it comes time to sell 😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

wallop – Member
    Planning permission to knock an internal wall down? Really?

In a flat in scotland.

Perfectly reasonable in my opinion when what you share building fabric with how many other properties

footflaps

Perfectly reasonable in my opinion when what you share building fabric with how many other properties

That would be Building Control rather than Planning (in England and Wales).

akira

How long are your planning on staying there? If it’s a long time and it’s not too expensive then crack on, the value of the property only matters if you’re selling it.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

That would be Building Control rather than Planning (in England and Wales).

Or a building warrant where OP lives, as mentioned above.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Knocking through the wall between 2 rooms – reduce house value?’ is closed to new replies.