Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Knocking through
  • brant
    Free Member

Anyone ever bought the house next door and knocked through? Neighbours selling up apparently. Interested. Moving without moving 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I bought the flat next door and did it. You will have a lot of legal shite to deal with to make it into one property and you will lose money on it

brant
    Free Member

Yeah. Thought it might not be very good. However, slightly amusing that I would own the whole of “Top Street” 🙂

We love it here, but it’s not big enough. And we make lots of noise (not why neighbours are moving).

Perhaps the answer is to buy next door and make the eldest two live there 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

Yeah, hassle changing deeds over to make as one… And consider how easy it maybe to sell on again as one large property….Knocking through is the easy part…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Perhaps the answer is to buy next door and make the eldest two live there

no, the other end of the block and make them live there 🙂

gusamc
    Free Member

Do it so you can undo it.
    Then when young have left (about 40 years under labour) then you can undo it, sell it and use it to pay for public sector pensions, sorry your pension.

brant
    Free Member

Yeah, hassle changing deeds over to make as one…

Well it’s quite a lot of hassle moving house. Estate agent fees, stress, packing, removals…

brant
    Free Member

no, the other end of the block and make them live there

is it the other end of the block. Top Street consists of 2 houses, connected.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cant imagine why legally converting it to one property would be particularly hard, in theory? Probably wont be worth twice the individual prices but if you need a big house and like it…

sharki
    Free Member

Well if you not under pressure as you’re not moving on…….

Is it end of terrace, any potential for extending?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you can afford it do it. You could always knock thru but not tell anyone – costs more in council tax and so on but it means you can return it to two houses easily for resale or renting.

To convert to one you also have to amalgamate the water, electricity and gas, get it reassessed for council tax,

GrahamS

However, slightly amusing that I would own the whole of “Top Street”

I believe that if you get the whole set then you can build big red hotels on it and charge people for landing there.

theotherjonv

conceptually interesting. Can you just put a door into the adjoining wall (assume would be loadbearing therefore need building regs etc.) but keep as 2 properties. If you don’t live in one, keep it as a ‘holiday home’ can you then get a reduction in council tax?

You’d still need 2 sets of bills, TV licences and so on. But would that be much different in cost to the cost of running a double sized house? And then when you don’t need it any longer, just brick it back up!

firestarter
    Free Member

i did a fire safety inspection on a house and we found they had converted the attic and run steps up to it and when you walked in the two attics were joined and there were steps going into the house next door that they had 😉

not the most handy conversion lol but easy to undo (not strictly right under fire regs either 😉

Olly
    Free Member

STOP!

Hammer time

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I left my wife alone in the livingroom with a hammer while I went for a ride.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member

conceptually interesting. Can you just put a door into the adjoining wall (assume would be loadbearing therefore need building regs etc.) but keep as 2 properties. If you don’t live in one, keep it as a ‘holiday home’ can you then get a reduction in council tax?

You been spying on me? Not that thats what we did at all – no way

coffeeking
    Free Member

i did a fire safety inspection on a house and we found they had converted the attic and run steps up to it and when you walked in the two attics were joined and there were steps going into the house next door that they had [;-)]

I know of at least one person who shares their loft conversion with next door as a games room 🙂

I also know someone who bought a house that was two houses knocked through, it was on the market for 3x the price of a single house in the same street, but it did come with a lot of land too to be fair.

geoffj

Does it have a bigger/better shed?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I remember reading a few year back about someone who owned a terrace house and basically converted the attic space of the whole terrace into bedrooms for a load of illegal immigrants. Only found out when one of the neighbours died and their son tried to clear the attic.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Knocking through’ is closed to new replies.