Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Knocking one out.?
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Headset that is…

I have an old Cane Creek that I need to remove from my bike & replace. Whats the best way to do this, other than leave it with one a few LBS’s for the best part of a week…

I have a number of punches & am not fussed about the damage to the headset coming out as its knackered anyway.

Regarding getting the new one in, I thought of perhaps an elaborate contraption involving a couple of wood spacers & 2 ‘G’ clamps – failing that, a block of wood & hammer?

nickc

Big blunt screwdriver, big ‘mer. Bash.

jfeb
    Free Member

Knock out the old headset with a hammer and an old seatpost (using the seapost as a punch)

Fit the new one with a threaded rod/bolt, nut and washers or do what I do and use a mallet and blocks of wood.

glenh
    Free Member

Big screwdriver + hammer.

As for putting a new one in, people will tell you that you need to use a proper press, but I’ve always just carefully knocked mine in using a block of wood + hammer. I’ve never had a problem, but I guess it might not be worth the risk if it’s a light weight frame.

wors

Ally bar or something soft like that. I made a contaption out of some threaded rod, acouple of large thick washers at each end and a couple of nuts.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I recently brought the correct tools and find the job so much easier. Not to mention quieter especially the fitting. It also makes lining up the logos easy too.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Hmm, I have a bearing press that might be able to be modified to work on the headset, i’ll give that some thought…

Big screwdriver & hammer it is for the removal then!

Junkyard
    Free Member

a crowbar flat end is a perfect fit and hit with hammer to fit grease cup and tap in SQUARE with a rubber hammer and or wood (brace frame on another peice of wood on the headtube … happy to race anyone using the proper tools which are just not required IMHO

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

hammer and screwdriver to remove. I use a bench vice to fit replacement

takisawa2

Hammer & large screwdriver to remove.
    Wooden mallet to re-fit. Never had a problem.

muddy_fox
    Free Member

as jfeb says hammer and old seatpost will be fine and do less damage than a screwdriver. Alternatively, an old flat handlebar

fredgassit
    Free Member

Another vote from an ex bike shop mechanic (10+ years) for the hammer, screwdriver and blocks of wood.It’s what I use at home. You might not want to do it if your cups are really really light alloy (Campy Record springs to mind). Other than that, bash away.

johni
    Free Member

I followed jfebs idea. Used a long bolt, nut and some big washers to refit.

smiffy

To install new cups, leave them inb the freezer for a couple of hours and they will almost fall in.

Driller
    Free Member

When it comes to fitting and removing headset cups, you can’t beat the proper tools, particularly the removal tool, saves gnarling up the inside of your potentially expensive frame, after all you’ve got to put another of the blighters in there. Never, ever had any luck with threaded rod and big washers for putting them in.

Buy a set between you and your mates, you only need them now and again.

BTW, like the sound of the freezer idea, must give that a try.

therealhoops
    Free Member

my weapon of choice is an old socket set and 5pound lump hammer

sockpuppet

a headset press might seem like overkill, and yes you can fit them without, but it turns the job into a real pleasure, whilst doing the job really well

bomberman
    Free Member

but it turns the job into a real pleasure

of course it does. helps justify the 30 quid you wasted 😉

BadlyWiredDog

I use a sledgehammer and an old crowbar to remove the original then fit the new one using the same sledgehammer, a can of beans and a bit of cardboard to guard against scratching. I’ve tried using proper tools, but to be honest, I felt a bit of a tit doing the job properly and it would prevent me from coming on here and blathering on about how I made my own headset press from two do-nuts and a length of bamboo. I split chains using a vice and a hammer drill as well and use a large adjustable spanner for pretty much everything requiring a spanner or socket.

Longterm STWers may recall that i make my own allen keys from mild steel bar and file them to shape to save money. I’m now working on a set of precision screwdrivers made along the same principles.

bomberman
    Free Member

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Knocking one out.?’ is closed to new replies.