Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 'knocking' from fork
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

So finally got the new to me cross check out yesterday and love it but after a decent descent I could feel the fork knocking. Stopped, undid the cap stem and cable hanger sorted it all out then went back to top of the descent to check it. Same prob again. Ended up yarking the bolt for the SFN tighter than it needs to be and rode home. I’m not sure if it’s the SFN (it’s a bit shallow and bolt seems to sit at an angle) or the headset – when you turn the bars it tightens and slackens

It’s a superstar headset so did a quick search and found this thread but not much else

angryratio
    Free Member

wonky star nut/ or crown race not flush..
    strip her down and check her out.

Wonky star nut sounds likely.

fontmoss
    Free Member

ok need to bodge something to get it in straight…

carlosg
    Free Member

See if you have a socket that will just fit down the steerer?

fontmoss
    Free Member

well i think it might be the headset, sfn doesn’t seem wonky after all plus had a look at the headset and the top section seems to be sitting squint on the top cap (at the back in the pic) and the steerer can move back and forth.

so pulled it up and seems like a row of bearings are awol, either that or there are extras *sigh* down to lbs to get a new headset fitted methinks

EDIT: why the **** is the pic not linking

ah well, the section that sits above the top cap is sitting low at the back covering the top cap a bit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘'knocking' from fork’ is closed to new replies.