Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Knocked off my bike today and really quite peeved…
  • DezB
    Free Member

I thought twice about posting about this, cos I know there’s a bunch of judgmental turnips on here… but it’s buggin me, so need to get it off my chest!
    What I’m peeved about is that I made the wrong decision, which meant I was pretty badly knocked off. Wasn’t my fault, I’m sure, cos the bloke didn’t look what he was doing before pulling away, but I could have avoided it..
    So he’s turning right out of a driveway onto the main road, very busy, so he moves forward, blocking the cycle lane (which I’m not on), the road I’m on and (I think) his bonnet came over a box junction. I had just come off the mini roundabout and going quite quick decided (in that instant that is kind of too quick to be a decision) to go around the front of him. As I get in front … boom! he pulls out and pushes me off.
    Totally trashed front wheel (which he has agreed to pay for) and bent mech hanger, luckily all thats damaged, apart from me swollen elbow.
    Thanks for reading.. judge away!

cchris2lou

you re not injured that is the main thing .

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

his fault and glad you are ok

Dont blame yourself I had similar once when he overshot the junction then made eye contact with me [ i could have braked so did not] so thought it was ok

thankfully uphill so i was not moving fast.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it is still their fault.

patriotpro
    Free Member

My judgement is that:

You’ve sustained damages through no fault of your own.

I trust you took his insurance particulars…

Tom83

Glad you’re ok, hope the elbow doesn’t stop you riding!

GrahamS

Bugger. As you said yourself, not your fault, but sadly predictable.
    Sucks that we have to expect drivers to pay so little attention to us but that’s the game.

Just chalk it up to experience. At least you’re not too badly hurt.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As you say, not your fault, but you could have avoided.

Without wanting to sound smug, I just tend to ride slower in town and brake any time I see a risk.

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers guys – yeah, we both got each others details. He has actually said he’ll bring the money round tomorrow. Hopefully he won’t have a change of heart and things can get sorted quickly.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Human error, shit happens & will continue until humans cease to exist.

Pleased your’e ok though.

brakes
    Free Member

sounds like he’s totally in the wrong – 99.9% of the time he wouldn’t have pulled out so I don’t think you should have stopped or done anything differently. there’s a fine line between anticipating/ being decisive and being hesitant/ overly cautious.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Unfortunately you are obliged to ride as if everyone is deliberately trying to kill you (which they are btw).You cannot rely on other people to do the right thing EVEN if they have seen you.I try and make eye contact at junction etc but that’s no guarantee.
    I was coming to a junction on sunday,there was a car waiting to pull out.He saw me-looked me straight in the eyes and he pulled out regardless (me doing 20mph+) anyway.I’d already assumed he was a twonk and so was ready for it….and you can’t believe how much damage a full 750ml water bottle can do to body panels when travelling at 30mph 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

…& will continue until humans cease to exist.

Something that will probably be caused by human error.

deluded
    Free Member

Seneca, Montaigne, Socrates or Nietzche?

DezB
    Free Member

Unfortunately you are obliged to ride as if everyone is deliberately trying to kill you

I guess that’s what has annoyed me! I normally do ride like that – it’s what I credit my 20 years of safe commuting on. After a bad day, though, I felt like I screwed up.
    Hey then while out riding with my dog a motorbike riding illegally on a bridleway nearly rode straight into me! He was looking over his shoulder at his mate. I had to shout to get his attention!
    And earlier, after riding in, I sat at my desk and my knee locked up (miniscus tear).
    It’s days like this…

project
    Free Member

http://WWW.BIKELINE.CO.UK

You suffered injury in a RTC, which should be reported to the Police,and also to his insurance company if he is insured,and his company if a company vehicle.

at least you know where he lives.

Also glad your ok, a chap on the Etape Cymru who was hit by a car on closed road is now in hospital with serious spinal injuries, and another cyclist in Liverpool is dead after being hit by a stolen motor bike in Liverpool both over the weekend.

EVERY ACCIDENT INVOLVING A MOTOR VEHICLE NEEDS TO BE REPORTED ,ONLY THEN WILL SUFFICENT LAWS AND DETERENTS BE MADE POSSIBLE TO MAKE CYCLING ON ROADS, WHICH IS OUR RIGHT, SAFER FOR ALL.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    …& will continue until humans cease to exist.
    Something that will probably be caused by human error.

😆

big_n_daft
    Free Member

In my view:

You have had an rta which caused injury, you should notify the police (as should he)

If he’s trashed a wheel the forks and frame will be suspect get them checked

If your elbow plays up go to the doctor

Inspect clothing etc they should be included if appropriate

He is trying likely to be trying to commit insurance fraud by not reporting the incident to his insurers

Hope you recover fully

Edric64
    Free Member

He would have had my fist in his face for knocking me off .I do road rage on a bike rather well

franksinatra

Were you wearing a helmet?

Likely saved your life / could have killed you* if you were

*Delete as appropriate.

Jamie
    Free Member

He would have had my fist in his face for knocking me off .I do road rage on a bike rather well

Muke
    Free Member

Could of been a lot worse, healing vibes to you Mr Dez.

DezB
    Free Member

I do road rage pretty well, but 2 builders? I know my limits!
    Nah, he was a decent bloke, wasn’t that sort of incident.

Here’s the wheel:

druidh
    Free Member

Pah. That’ll polish out!

Bez

Looks like you need to tighten the drive side spokes a bit, it’s gone a bit out of true.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Oof that’s a bit bent.

Sounds like you were riding perfectly legitimately.

I had a near miss the other day going down a very quiet country lane (a bit quick, I’ll admit) and a bloke pulled out of a concealed entrance on the left. He start pulling out (this is on a blind bend) while looking down at the radio/gearstick/something in the cabin. I was so dumbstruck I almost forgot to swerve and brake. Unbelievable.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Looks like a sticker.

v8ninety

I think you are being very reasonable and sensible about it all, as is the (at fault) driver.

Are you sure that you are from round here? Letting the side down!

forexpipz
    Free Member

Dont be a tool and ride in the woods. Especially if you have kids.

glupton1976
    Free Member

You win. Realising that accidents mostly need two people to do something wrong makes sure you’ll look out for this kind of thing in future. Good lesson to learn. Good man for learning it – most wouldn’t take it on board.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Seneca, Montaigne, Socrates or Nietzche?

esselgruntfuttock actually.

Whatever, but I (& your offender manager) think you should to a T.S.P. (Thinking Skills Programme) course.
    IE, think of the consequences before you act.

butcher

Sometimes you have to put yourself in the line of fire in order to get out safely. Other times it’s best to hammer the brakes. On some days you feel calmly confident that others are respecting your presence, and sometimes that’s even true! Whatever day it is, a thin line always exists, and thinking quick, we don’t always make the decisions best suited to that day. That’s just the way it is.

GrahamS

juan
    Free Member

Well I am just glad you’re ok to be honest

butcher

You win. Realising that accidents mostly need two people to do something wrong makes sure you’ll look out for this kind of thing in future. Good lesson to learn. Good man for learning it – most wouldn’t take it on board.

Whilst there’s some element of truth in that, and there’s certainly lessons to be learned from both parties, there’s a big difference between taking evasive action and pulling out in front of someone. One is more wrong than the other. Significantly so.

Jamie
    Free Member

What if he doesn’t work in the woods?

DezB
    Free Member

I should give up commuting by bike?
    Ooh, that wouldn’t be good for anybody. Driving amongst those idiots really screws me up!

DezB
    Free Member

Hey, you know what? I’m bloody glad I posted, the supportive words and advice (even if I don’t take it) have worked wonders. Was feeling pretty shite.
    Thanks all, night night

(Oh and Jamie, that pic had me giggling like a girl 😀 )

crispybacon
    Free Member

Glad to hear you’re OK Dez & I hope you had some decent plasters for any cuts 😉

bigblackshed

Glad you’re reasonably ok. Positive healing thoughts your way>>>>>

I’m sure most people have been in similar situations, where you think through your actions afterwards, doubting the decisions you made. Only human really. Some smart arse consultant would call it a life learning experience.

Just make sure you’re not out of pocket on any damage. FWIW I think the wheel is just beyond T-Cut and elbow grease to get the bend out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off my bike today and really quite peeved…’ is closed to new replies.