Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Knocked off by non-UK resident in a hire car
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Just got side swiped riding down the A4. Police attended. Got insurance details and witness. Have British Cycling Silver membership so some legal cover.

Anyone been in similar situation? What hope for a claim?

atlaz
    Free Member

Hire car is insured. You’ll just claim against them. I doubt the non-resident will end up in court though (depending how serious it was)

superjohn71
    Free Member

Slightly different, but I was reversed into (I was in my nearly new car, grrr) by a German chappy in a hire car who had panicked when he realised he was in the wrong lane for where he wanted to go. He’d only picked it up moments earlier, poor bloke. I phoned the hire car company who sorted it out without fuss,so all may not be lost. They didn’t even try to argue liability (not that they could really because I was stationary

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’d imagine (so a non-evidence based opinion) that this could well be easier than a normal insurance claim.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not sure who the hire car is with, all organised through Chase in the US apparently.

Nothing too serious thankfully as I landed in a ditch. He got his wing mirror knocked off and some scrapes down the side of the car. I got grazes and some scraped carbon bits.

MoreCashThanDash

Which bits of you are carbon?

Glad you are reasonably ok in the circumstances.

beej

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Where on A4?

Was it a case of not being used to being on the left and drifting over too far?

Contact the insurance company, plus the BC legal cover. Let them take care of it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Which bits of you are carbon?

About 18.5% of all of me 🙂

Most annoying bit of damage is a big paint mark down the side of one of my new white Bont shoes 🙁

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Where on A4?

Probably about halfway between Elcot park and Hungerford. Not sure really, from my POV he just seemed to drive into the side of me from behind. Lady behind said he pulled over to the right to overtake then pulled back while he was alongside me. She said it looked bad and was quite surprised I was ok!

beej

He clearly misjudged how awesomely fast you were going. That’s a pretty wide bit of road too!

thomthumb
    Free Member

in the US

kerching.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Haha well looking at Strava it was 23mph to zero! Lucky there was a nasty headwind on that stretch or I could have been going a fair bit quicker.

adsh
    Free Member

Sorry to hear it but sounds like a lucky escape.

Ibuprofen and medicinal alcohol proscribed!

GDRS

As someone who kind of works in insurance/car rentals…….

The driver has to be insured for the period of the rental. If the driver is from outside the UK the rental firm would have sold him a policy (it also helps them with their margin in the rental deal – so they are all over this). They may also have sold him an accident waiver as well. If his bank have arranged the cover for him (Chase) they have essentially done the in country admin for him – and again the rental firm will be all over this.

When the guy returns the car they are going to have a conversation about the damage – and it’s a good bet he will have called the hire firm already to inform them the vehicle has been damaged in order to get a replacement – esp if he is here for any period of time. Hire companies are very good if you are the injured party. They really don’t want to go to court (costs) and many self insure.

I would follow this up asap if not already done so.

If he has taken a collision waiver I would think any claim you make is less likely to be contested. If the hire firm self insure they may also be very happy to deal with you directly, especially if it is a simple case of the driver accepting liability and the hire firm now need to buy you a new bike. This keeps their costs down.

If you feel after sleeping on it and the adrenaline has worn off that you have any injuries – you may get access to treatment on the hire firm as their insurance would prefer to get the bill from a supplier they have appointed as opposed to one you appoint and attempt to recover the costs for (it kind of works like that in motor insurance for std RTAs – you don’t get any worse treatment – it’s just the bills don’t have any mark up from your insurer – the cost is controlled). Don’t do this if you are uncomfortable negotiating – call your insurer. In any case notify your insurer (BC)- you have taken insurance and it is worth asking their advice, even if you decide not to claim. That’s part of the service.

anagallis_arvensis

Good job you didnt need an ambulance, I spent 45 mins bleeding in Woolhampton a few weeks ago! Eventually got taken to A&E by the police dog handler!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most annoying bit of damage is a big paint mark down the side of one of my new white Bont shoes

Make a note of it.

You should end up with a new pair of Bont shoes as part of the settlement.

My fee for this piece of advice is a new pair of bont shoes with a bit of paint rub (if they’re a 45).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sorry Tinas, 46.5.

anagallis_arvensis, that sucks. What happened?

Thanks GDRS, lots of good info there. Shall be getting in touch with BC tomorrow. Bit worried about what this guy is going to tell his insurance company as he was telling the cops that I swerved into him. The bloody liar. Thankfully the witness says he inexplicably swerved into me.

Do I need to get in touch with the cops for any details? I don’t even have an incident number.

Really need to get the bike out and give it a good inspection too. Looked ok but no doubt there’ll be some scuffs.

anagallis_arvensis

anagallis_arvensis, that sucks. What happened?

Self inflicted stupidity! Foot slipped off pedal pulling away and ripped my calf open on chainring! Needed surgery to stitch and clean, luckily I failed to cut my achillies! Been in plaster for 3 weeks! Daft **** that I am!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Argh sounds rather painful 😕

anagallis_arvensis

Once I worked out I hadnt hit an artery and wasnt going to bleed to death it wasnt too bad. Getting it washed out smarted a little mind!! Got a few KOM’s in the police car though!!

ferrals
    Free Member

Unlucky mate, but lucky you are ok! Keep an eye out for any aches and pains that manifest over the next couple of days and get them recorded.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Wear the battle scarred shoes with pride.

All the best with the claim, seems daunting at first but it should go your way without hitch.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks all. Have logged it with British Cycling’s insurance people.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off by non-UK resident in a hire car’ is closed to new replies.