• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Knocked off bike, what should I have done?
  • nullpointer
    Free Member

I was knocked off my bike on the ride home tonight. Chap pulled out in front of me, from the left. I was in the bike lane, only doing about 14mph, but he didn’t see me and pulled out. I hit his back wing and went down.
    He was very apologetic, and asked if I and my bike were OK.
    I didn’t really know what to do. I felt ok, a bit sore where I’d hit the deck, and the bike seemed fine in the dark and rain.
    Bit I didn’t take any of his details, and I think that was maybe a mistake.
    I will have to give the bike a good look over in the light this evening to make sure it’s OK.

So, for next time, what should I have done? Get details regardless of how minor it feels at the time?

What would you guys have done?

crankboy
    Free Member

Braked .

Honestly in your situation I would have checked the bike accepted his apology and carried on . I once chased a guy through traffic after he knocked me off and once he had failed to escape despite jumping two red lights accepted his then profuse apology ( I am by no stretch of the imagination hard)
    People make mistakes it is the failure to acknowledge them that annoys me.

nullpointer
    Free Member

Braked

😆
    I did manage to get to the brakes, unlike him.

enfht
    Free Member

What would you guys have done?

A really high Bunny hop, probably with a one handed table top because I’m too old for 360s nowadays.

Glad you’re OK.

jonba
    Free Member

According to the police I behaved in a threatening manner. I put that down to adrenaline and being a little cross.

Personally I would have take his details and reported it to the police. There is no reason not to see a cyclist (assuming you were road legal) and so his driving/observation is not up to scratch.

tthew

Definitely got his details. If you discover your bike is damaged now you’ve had chance to look in the light, how are you going to claim?

daver27
    Free Member

isnt it a legal requirement to get swap contact details in the case of any accident?

definitely shoulda got their details.

brooess
    Free Member

Def got his details in case things get worse or you spot something about the bike e.g. forks knackered from the impact, over the next few days.

In terms of avoiding this kind of thing, when I did my Bikeability we discussed keeping an eye out for vehicles coming out of junctions on the left and even if you’ve made eye contact, it makes sense to go into primary position to help make yourself visible and to keep pedalling (the instructor told me if you stop pedalling some drivers will think you’re slowing up to let them in).
    Personally I assume any driver in this situation either won’t look properly or is too impatient – never assume they’ll stay put
    Glad you’re ok

nullpointer
    Free Member

Thanks all, I will definately get details next time, regardless of severity.

I was in a cycle lane on the road, so off to the left. I’m going to start taking the lane past this junction now, to make myself more visible (already have super bright lights and luminous & reflective jacket).

D0NK

get his details and probably report, may have been his first mistake or could be seventh one this week.
    If you’re expecting cars to be pulling out (regular route and it’s a known busy side road) primary is the place to be. Mind you I nearly got taken out the other night, I was in primary behind a van – not tail gating – oncoming car waiting to turn right could see a “gap” between the van and the car behind me and tried to turn as soon as the van passed, fortunately driver spotted me at the last second, there was pretty much sod all I could have done at that point.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off bike, what should I have done?’ is closed to new replies.