Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Knocked off bike this morning
  • midlifecrashes

Even if you don’t go to a clinic, document and take photos of your injuries today. Yes, visit the police station. Be polite but firm. DO NOT ever raise your voice.

ahwiles
    Free Member

andysredmini – Member

How do I get on with insurance if I don’t have any insurance? I’m not in any cycling club etc. so have nothing.

there is a chance that you’ll have something useful with your house insurance, or so i’m told…

stealthcat

Some time ago, I was told that the rule of thumb is that if there is any blood spilt or any injury to a person, both parties have a duty to report the accident to the police. This may not be 100% true, but equally, if you report it and they don’t, it may tip the balance in your favour…

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

May have been said in posts above but not read them all..

Get a Police reference number
    Take photos of all your injuries.
    If needed go to Doctors/A&E to get checked over. (my torn chest muscle didn’t really show itself for a few days)
    Take photos of all your damaged bike and kit, no matter how small a scratch.
    Take photos of you injuries as they bruise/scab up.
    If you are a British Cycling member – use their legal advice.
    Keep a note/file of all correspondence.
    Take bike to 2 LBS and get them to give written details of damage.
    Get a lawyer on the case if needed.

(all gained after being knocked of by a bus!)

mcj78
    Free Member

I’d echo what others are saying about going into the local Police station & making a complaint face to face, ultimately, even though you might not be badly injured, you’ve been hit by a car driven through a red light & they’re duty bound to investigate it if you complain.

If you have her number / address, request her insurance details – legally she has to comply if there has been an incident which has resulted in damage to property unless she and you are happy to settle it between yourselves (and that’s ignoring the potential damage to you personally). Take the bike into your lbs & tell them what’s happened – ask for a written quote for replacing all damaged parts, including checking frame alignment / checking any dents or deep scratches for structural integrity – get photos of all the damage too.

Don’t know if you got any witness contacts – these might be useful in case she suddenly decides she can’t afford to fix your bike or collect any points on her license &and it was YOU who jumped the light & went into the side of her car…

Sadly in these type of cases if you’re not “the f*cker” you’re the one getting…

In short, be “the f*cker” but be polite about it.

Hope this helps!
    J

oldnpastit

There’s an LFGSS thread about what to do in the event of being hit, which is pretty comprehensive:

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/131099/

brooess
    Free Member

So, she jumped a red light, didn’t look before pulling away and is now backsliding away from taking responsibility and trying to blame you.
    How many signs do you need that you’re dealing with someone who can’t be trusted?

Not having a go at you OP but she’s already proven herself to be willing to break the law and try and walk away from it, and you’ve suffered damage as a result. Not a lot of justice for you or the next person she knocks off if you go down the informal route (assuming the backsliding she’s already doing is her last, which I doubt it will be)…

It really is about time people realised how serious the consequences of bad driving are and this ‘lady’ will be far less likely to misunderstand this if she’s taken through the full formal legal process…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Hold on folks- Did she jump a red light? She said she was already past the lights but blocking the junction.
    Still didn’t look properly but not so black and white…

The lady was shook up and crying and admitted she changed from going straight over to turning right to avoid blocking the road as the lights were red from her direction with traffic in front of her. Her excuse was that she didn’t expect me to pull away from the lights so fast.

marco
    Free Member

Following on from my post
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/knocked-off-bike-today
    You MUST report it. If not it only makes it harder for us, as cyclists, to be safer on the roads.
    2 weeks on and I am still on crutches, needing physio on my right knee, had to have an operation on a haematoma on my left thigh to drain it and my nose is half way across my face, and I still haven’t heard from the other parties insurance. If I had been in a car smash im sure things would have moved along quicker.
    And I sill cant decide which goddam bike to buy to replace mine!

sandboy

When I got hit by a car turning right my doctor told me that it was an offence to fail to report an RTA. I felt fine at the time because adrenalin is very powerful at masking pain. Once I had come down, I had developed a serious case of whiplash which kept me off the bike for over 6 weeks. My frame was bent and her insurance paid out for a new bike and personal injury. I wasn’t looking to get hit, she turned right into my path, I hit the side of her car went over the bonet and ended up on the windscreen where the wiper mounts split my helmet. Don’t feel bad for the driver, it could have been much worse.

tomd
    Free Member

You’ve lined yourself up to be screwed on this. There’s a process to follow and your not following it. If later in the process you chose to settle with the driver that’s cool, no one wants to feed the injury claims beast.

Go down the police station and log it properly. Get her details and contact insurer.

aracer
    Free Member

there is achance that you’ll have something useful with your house insurance, or so i’m told…

Well done you’re learning. If you have contents insurance you’ll have 3rd party cover for riding a bike – though actually in this case that’s irrelevant. What might be useful is legal cover, which you won’t necessarily have, though that doesn’t really matter as bikeline etc will be happy to act on a no win no fee basis. I’d suggest contacting one of those companies just as soon as you’ve reported it to.the police. As others have mentioned this lady is going to try and avoid responsibility so you’ll need some help from people used to that.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Did anyone say log it with the police yet? Just in case, can I suggest you log it with the police, and get a reference number off them. Be firm, but polite – (do not raise your voice – that never ends well!).

Hope you are ok – last time I got hit I was fine on the day, but the next few weren’t much fun after the adrenaline wore off. Bikes tens to cost a bit more than your typical driver might expect – some good advice up there ^^

mend fast.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Sorry to read you got knocked off, glad you’re ok.

Sad that no one stopped to see if you were ok.

Reporting it will help identify possible accident black spots.

Good luck getting the cash for bike repairs.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Report it to the police.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice and replies.
    I have rung the police on 101. They have logged on record that I have been involved in an accident and took mine and the drivers information and details of what happened. They said that unless I got myself checked out at the doctors they will not at this stage take the incident any further. Regarding injuries I’m pretty much fine. I have no worse pain than a night falling off my bmx at the skatepark. I did ask if it was ok to delay getting checked out at this stage and see how i feel over the weekend which the police lady said would be fine and that because they now have it on record its like having a case open I can add to if I need too.
    I have spoken to the driver a few times during the day and warned her that its an expensive bike and that a repair won’t be cheap. she was initially surprised but agreed to pay for any damages.
    The last time I spoke to her I gave her a good indication of the repair cost (around £1450) and she said she would pay.
    She seems genuine enough and I’m going to give her until Monday (she said she will pay over the weekend) to sort the money out otherwise I will contact her insurance.
    But if my injurys feel anything more than normal aches and pains I will be straight down the doctors for a checkup. Also I have taken photos of the bike and my injuries.

I know how much you lot enjoy photos and video so I have uploaded a clip to youtube to show how badly the wheel is buckled if anyone is interested in seeing it.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEGSlHNIV7I[/video]

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off bike this morning’ is closed to new replies.