• This topic has 40 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Knocked off bike by My Old Dutch
  • fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Riding round Regents Park today, passing through light on green along the southern section, a Smart car coming from the opposite direction turns right across me and I hit the side of the car (he was almost invisible as he cut across traffic queing in my direction) and I sprawl across the windscreen. I shout effing and blinding, he gets out and guess what he says…………….

‘You’re not getting a penny from me!’

Unbelievable, you couldn’t make it up. The smart car was liveried with ‘My Old Dutch’ pancake house. Young looking guy refuses to give me insurance details, tells me he owns My Old Dutch and that I should grow up! Big crowd, even a little old lady wades into him. He still refuses to give me details. I’ve got his reg number and will report to police in the morning, too shaken up today.

Looks like My Old Dutch also likes to make pancakes out of cyclists.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did you get any witnesses?

Report the fecker for sure.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Yes got witness, cab driver right behind me. He was really nice. I will def report, even if to add to stats, motorists really do need to take more care.

I am becoming more of the opinion that part of the driving test should be spent on a bicycle doing a proficiency test!

ton

i would have just decked him
    self satisfaction and all that.
    some people need a good hiding to make them see the errors of their ways.
    he obviously thought he was above doing what any body should do in a accident.
    swap details.

BigDummy
    Free Member

What a charmer! Hope you’re alright. Best reported by the sound of him.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You have a witness and he is fubared. He has committed an offence by not giving you his insurance details to say nothing of the driving offence. When you go to the police tell then you want him prosecuted for dangerous driving and that he was probably drunk.

I would report it now however to be sure.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

I was in two minds, but you are right, I really should.

Thanks BD I am fine, twinge in lower back but I am sure that will go. I was more shocked at his attitude. He was so unrepentant, aggresive, threatening to sue me for any damage to his car etc. It really beggars belief! The witness was really nice and said he would help in any prosecution.

Thanks for your support, it really has shaken me!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

twinge in lower back

**** it, screw the chunt for compo. He deserves it.

nukeproof
    Free Member

AS TJ said, report it now.

Glad to here you’re okay.

Was it this place…http://www.myolddutch.com/default.asp

duntmatter
    Free Member

[wonders]How could we demonstrate our antipathy towards this fellow?[wonders]

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Yes, it said myolddutch.com on the car. Won’t ever go there let me tell you!

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

I even managed to get a photo of the car and my bike lying beside it as he refused to give me any details. I shall show that to the police also.

Smee
    Free Member

I would be guessing that he is unlicensed, uninsured etc… Sue his ass. It must have been national drive like a **** day today though. Many many near misses today.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

We could descend on the restaurant en masse, order loads of spensive stuff, and then just all walk out!

moreupsthandowns
    Free Member

No doubt about go to the nearest Police Station report it he won’t, he deserves to be dealt with. At the least this is a minor injury RTC either way it must be dealt with. It is his responsibility to report the RTC as he is Vehicle One (I.E the Offending Vehicle) But I think we can guess what he won’t do!

Go to the Dr’s get checked out, this is not really an option as you don’t want to find you are suffering from a more serious injury and you have not checked it early on. Whip lash and the like tend to show up in the days after an accident so get onto it now.

Down to you obviously, but I just want to make sure you are ok.

MUTD’s

RichPenny
    Free Member

Thats awful fauxbyfour, hope you are feeling better now. Have to say, you did very well in the circumstances not to lamp the guy and to get details plus a witness. All of that will go well in court, which is where this is heading. Most police tend to take a dim view of actions like this so hopefully he will be prosecuted. Do you have any legal advice available via home or contents insurance? Not sure, but this could come in handy.

With regard to injuries and damage to your bike/clothes, document anything you can. If you have lower back pain now, it could be a sign of more longer lasting damage you’re not yet aware of. Best to get an appointment with your GP if it persists, keep records of this also. The body can do remarkable things when it’s been hurt. I snapped the end off my radius and used that to break 4 other bones in my wrist. Couldn’t feel any pain in it (although it felt a bit odd!) until about 3 hours later, when the Doc pulled it straight in A+E. Screamed at the top of my voice, even with a bucketload of morphine 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

The websites “my History” section has a photo I’ve seen before, I think they’ve faked their name onto the original. RIOT!

Hope youre OK, report it like everyones said. Any bother with your back get it looked at.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Thanks for advice, it will be followed.

I was really shaking like a leaf, he just stood there and abused me while i was shaking. fortunately the witness calmed me down and stopped me from doing anything I would have regretted. I just wish people were more careful. all I wanted to do was ride my bike.

tails
    Free Member

ask for these glasses as payment for your bike repairs

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

I could take a bath in either one of those

theotherjonv

If he owns ‘My Old Dutch’ pancake house I’d assume he’s easily traceable for someone in the know. So you now also have a name as well as witnesses and a registration and a photo.

So report the lot. If he was indeed the owner, you’ve got your man, if god forbid he was just some employee dragging the company’s and owner’s name down in this manner when the owner then gets a visit / call from the police asking him to explain his actions I’d assume he’ll be less than thrilled and the real driver will be shafted even if the police don’t choose to follow it up.

Another thought. Even with all the above if the police choose not to pursue can you take a civil case for damages / injury on the basis of the strong witness statements? Again, should soon reveal if the driver was who he said he was!

theotherjonv

just had a look at their website. Interesting chance to make an enquiry there info@myolddutch.com – maybe ask for the owners name mentioning the incident and the fact it’s an offence under …… of the RTA or whatever not to provide it. More evidence of the fact they refused to provide it or if the driver wasn’t the owner, will start to pass the focus on to the real driver.

garage-dweller

Report the C**T

By not giving details he’s committed an offence in itself. Call the law this evening and get it reported otherwise you might find out that he’s called them in the morning and is claiming you smashed up his car and rode off.

Honestly how on earth do these ****ts think they’re going to get away with it.

theotherjonv

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/1e1e668f6f00e99b7f0852ef384f04e9/compdetails

Will cost you £1 to get access to the company details, directors, etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What was the result then?

john_walker74
    Free Member

Were the police interested?

zaskar
    Free Member

Report him.

He didn’t care about you, he just didn’t want to lose his no claims therefore he still regards cyclist as pieces of poop.

Well done for controlling your temper-don’t own him-it’ll stop you getting certain jobs.

Plenty of witnesses and loss of customers.

Bunnyhop

Hope you’re feeling better fauxbyfour.

After spending 4 years commuting by bike ( work from home now), I agree with you that some sort of test is needed to let drivers know how vulnerable we cyclists are on the road.

Disgusting behaviour by the smartcar driver. Did you get a photo of him?

markenduro
    Free Member

Hope you are feeling better. If ever anything happens like this, ring the police on the spot and say you have been knocked off by someone who you think is under the influence, they’ll soon turn up. Sounds like this w anker deserves everything that will be coming his way.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Good Job your not in hospital it could of been far more serious and he may of done more than you realized if you have a twinge in your back, he may have a history of bad driving and thought the bst form of defense in the situation was to be threatening. These arrogant bullies need to be taught a lesson so report the incident to the Police. Hope you havent any lasting injuries.

BlingBling
    Free Member

We need an update!

grahamh
    Free Member

The police will take an itnterest but in
    size months time the CPS/cheif constable will through it out
    as in their opinion there is no case to answer.
    Or at least that seems to be the standard practice.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Sorry to read this. Both as a driver and a cyclist (who commutes into Westminster).

I do despair at road standards.

ski
    Free Member

The atmosphere is warm friendly and relaxed which makes it a great place to come for families and kids

As long as you are not a cyclist 😉

Glad to hear you are ok fauxbyfour

sq225917
    Free Member

get the personal injury lawyers on him, the Police will ratttle it through with Lawyers up their ass.

pacemaker
    Free Member

Dont contact him, this then gives him the opportunity to go to the police and report it.
    If you contact the police and he hasn’t contacted them then he is in the shit..!

You do not have to give your details at the scene of an accident( appart from to a police officer), but if you don’t you do have to report it to the police within 24 hours.

Drillski
    Free Member

i think the idea of a large number of us going in and placign large orders and then leaving just as the order arrives sounds good if Fauxbyfour get s no immediate satisfaction! Does anyone remember the episode of My Family when Ben Harper wronged a group of roadies?

nbt

> You do not have to give your details at the scene of an accident
    > (appart from to a police officer), but if you don’t you do have
    > to report it to the police within 24 hours.

Sorry but that’s just plain WRONG. You MUST give your details at the scene of an accident when required to do so by someon who has a reasonable request – e.g. someone who you;ve just knocked off their bike! THere are exceptions, e.g. if you did not realise it happened, or believed that stopping would endanger your safety. If you fail to exahcnge detail you must report the accident within 24 hours and you’d better have a damn good reason for not doing it properly e.g. four lads weilding knives came out of the car that I bumped into.

To the OP, report him. Failing to Report an accident carries a fairly hefty penalty on connviction
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/collisionreporting/reporting.asp

PikeBN14
    Free Member

fauxbyfour – Member
    The smart car was liveried with ‘My Old Dutch’ pancake house. Young looking guy refuses to give me insurance details, tells me he owns My Old Dutch and that….

My Old Dutch have been around at least 25 years so I doubt it’s his company unless daddy has given it to him! Pursue him down the correct channels, you’ve gor everything in your favour!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So, what’s happened? have you reported him yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off bike by My Old Dutch’ is closed to new replies.