Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Knocked off bike by a car…seeking compensation…any advice appreciated
  • cycleogist
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    Wondering if anyone could help me, I was recently knocked off my bike from the rear by a car. I fell and hit my head, had two grazes to my head and big swelling on my cheekbone, a black eye (all of which i have photos of), small grazes to my knees, plus a bruised wrist. I also had three nosebleeds two consecutive days after the accudent but no evidence to support these. I was put in an ambulance for half an hour but not taken to hospital. The police questioned me about what happened, and I didn’t really know as I was knocked off from behind. I had two witnesses who said it was the motorists fault, one middle aged female cyclist and one shop keeper

The motorist claimed I was ‘all over the road’ although I was cycling straight. She totally bent the front wheel of my bike (showing how close it was to a lot worse an accident) and had £1100 damages (in electrical equipment; ipad, etc that was in a bag I was carrying wth me) and to my bike.

The motorists insurance company, ‘admiral’ contacted me off their own bat and after two talks offered me compensation on what i believe they called On a ‘non liability’ basis a total of £2500 compensation for no further action on my part, to cover injuries and costs of damage to my bike and other goods that were broken in te accident (as i saidvearlier, this cost £1100′).

I am slightly suspicious of the whole affair, the guy from admiral who offered me the compensation said things like ‘because I wasn’t wearing a helmet this would be taken into account in a court of law and would mean I would get less compensation there due to ‘not adequate measures of protection taken’, which sounds like he is twisting the truth to me as it is not within the law that a cyclist shoud wear a helmet, just a recommendation? It is a ‘non liability’ compensation amount meaning it doesn’t ‘imply who is wrong’ but as I am getting the compensation it implies she is in the wrong, right? It smells very fishy to me and feels like he is trying to rip me off…I am 29 and I think he thinks I will just jump at the cash. I even though that the motorist might even be paying the compensation out of her pocket, it was only after two, not greatly detailed phone conversations that they offered me £2500, and I only mentioned how much it cost me in possession damages (£1100) in our second conversation.

Anyone had similar things happen to them? I was considering asking them for an extra £1000 (to take it up to £3500) as damage to my possessions already cost me £1100, meaning only £1400 for physical injuries and the mental stress of the accident.
    Any help guys would be most appreciated?!

monksie
    Free Member

I think they’d settle for a ‘non fault’ £3500 and be pleased with it. They’ll draught something up so that you agree that it will be the end of the matter, even if your head falls off two days after the cheque is received.
    Not wearing a helmet will be taken into account if you go to court. As will the motorist running into the back of you. They’re the facts. Not opinions.
    Clearly the motorist’s fault so the insurance company will have to pay out regardless.
    Going to court, in fact, spending very much time at all dealing with this will very quickly costs the insurance company more than £3500 but don’t take the piss. You’re dealing with this in isolation. The insurance company is looking at the numbers. if they go daft for one, they’ll quickly be getting hammered from everywhere.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

contact one on the solicitors that BC/ CTC use for their member cliams, pay the appropriate professional fees (or “no win no fee )and get professional advice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off bike by a car…seeking compensation…any advice appreciated’ is closed to new replies.