Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Knocked a wall down with my car, is it the wall's fault?
  • Anna-B
    Free Member

We’ve had new walled borders (4 bricks high) in the back yard, shared access/garages. There are (were) also two small round borders (2-3ft wide). All completed about two weeks ago, and last night when reversing, I nudged one. Such a nudge that there is not even a scratch on my car, but the thing has collapsed.

I’m sure a brick/cement construction shouldn’t crumble like that, is there a case that it wasn’t made properly? Is there an optimum size for a bricked circle, any smaller and it’s weak?

Rented property, expecting a bill for it, but I suspect shoddy workmanship and wondered what anyone else thought…. (about the brickie’s ability, rather than my driving)

thanks!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Troll surely .

If your car had got damaged id expect an even bigger bill than that to rebuild a small brick circle 4 bricks high !

Klunk
    Free Member

just pile them back up and pretend nothing happened.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Seriously?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d expect the wall to withstand a minor nudge but since it was probably fairly ornamental in nature it wasn’t designed to withstand an oaf in a car hitting it. Re-assemble the wall, if anyone questions it you’ll just have to pay up the £50 it’ll cost to rebuild it.

I know someone who once nudged a 6inch diameter tree and flattened it without a mark on the car. It was a classic rangerover with steel beams as the bumpers 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

You can’t control your car, you’re a bad person, next time it could be a baby robins face!

donsimon
    Free Member

Try and get hold of silver1999, she was off to talk to a hot lawyer for this no responsibility type claim.
    I think the question of circular construction does depend on the size, the larger the circle you’ll find it’s possible to use standard brick, but if it’s a small circle you’ll need round bricks.
    Also check where the cement has come from, I’ve heard that you need to use locally sourced cement that is conditioned for local conditions. Out of area cement might not be suitable and foreign cement shouldn’t have been used. The main reason for that is the metric system they use.
    I’d have the car checked for any unseen damage. It can be very easy to knock the car out of shape even with the slightest knock, that happened to a bloke down the pub, but his mate was a solicitor so it all got sorted.
    Good luck.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Who supplied your car brake pads?

ski
    Free Member

I nudge a wall with my tractor once, but it was my fault 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

😆 @ don simon. Soooooo many variables! 😀

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The bricks were probably made of asbestos. Sue the brickie.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Sue the wall for emotional trauma.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I’m surprised no one has suggested you get yourself checked out and then sort out a claim for whiplash!….

RichPenny
    Free Member

I think you should blame the bloke downstairs 🙂

Actually, your landlord would probably pay you to rebuild it…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Knocked a wall down with my car, is it the wall's fault?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts