Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Knettishall Heath anyone?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I frequently ride past KH on one of my longer loops but have never explored its’ potential from a riding perspective. This w/e my in-Laws were down so we popped over the KH for a walk. Once in the woods, opposite the car park, I spotted what looked like masses of well defined singletrack which looked as if it would be a real blast to ride. The only thing that made me reflect a bit was the complete absence of tyre tracks. OK, I only walked up the trails for about 5 minutes (each) and I was only on the edges of the wooded area but I’d normally expect to see some evidence of riding.

Does anyone know what the position is there regarding riding? There seemed to be loads of folk from Suffolk Wildlife Trust but they were too far away for me to catch up with and talk to (they were monitoring the ponies I think).

I have a feeling that bimbling along the fire roads is tolerated but can find precious little about riding apart from that.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

I’d often thought about having a look there as it’s on my way to and from Thetford and the start of the Peddars Way. The OS map shows it a open access but that tends to be “on foot” only.

wooderson

Good old Knettishall Heath. Being only a mile from where I grew up, I use to rag the hell out of the walking trails on my old rigid Shoguns and Konas as a teenager.

You’re not meant to cycle on any of it, but I can’t ever remember getting any grief. The further south you go from the river and car parks the quieter it is and there are some lumpy sections of singletrack. Lots of dogwalkers though, so you need to be watchful.

The eastern triangle between Norwich Lane and the Coney Weston Road used be fun though the trees and the loop trails near the tumuli on the southern side has some reasonable singletrack.

It’s definitely worth exploring for a morning, as there are some bomb hole/gravel pits scattered about. The Peddars Way/Anglers Way are sort of downhill in parts and link up with some other woodlands further north.

I haven’t thought about riding there for years and looking on Streetview brings back some good memories of my yoof!

slowjo
    Free Member

Interesting….we usually blast by it as part of our Bury/Castle Acre/Thetford Forest/Kings Forest/Bury loop. We always wonder what it is going to be like…

Some of the trails leading up from Rushbrook to the A11 have got a bit trashed….mainly by fallen trees, consequently the nettle count is very high in summer.

Meanwhile, it sounds like it could be worth an explore. I’m inclined to wait until we have had a bit more rain though, it was very dusty and ‘fly away’ – riding it would probably have quite an impact on it.

wooderson

Mucking about on the red trails would be my tip. Start at the purple stars and go for it!

Funny to think the most fun we had was doing ‘segments’ with a casio watch on the handlebars.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Knettishall Heath anyone?’ is closed to new replies.