Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Knee/Shin pads for newbie
  • spaniardclimber
    Free Member

There have been some recent threads but only covered knee pads.

I’m a noob new to all mountain riding and flat pedals, to save my knees and shins I’m looking into knee/shin protection.

I’ve been told to buy some knee pads and use football shin pads to start, once I am more skilled, remove the shinpads…but I’m not sure about this advice.

POC (Joint VPD 2.0 Long Knee) and Dainese (Knee six pro) get good reviews, but they’re more long knee pads than full knee/shin pads.

I’d like to ask for advice, I’ve found the following but not sure which ones to get. I like the G Forms as they don’t seem too bulky, but haven’t found any user reviews.

GForm Pro X
    7Protection Flex Knee
    661 Exo knee
    661 Rage
    Race Face Flank
    Endura single track

Any advice is welcome!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Well, this isn’t much in the way of advice, but despite the fact my shins are covered in battle scars inflicted by hungry bad tempered pedals, I decided to stick with just knee pads and leave the shins.
    The concept of riding in knee pads already seems uncomfortable enough – I really just cant imagine riding in shin pads too

dynastar
    Free Member

You can pick up some ‘cheapish’ POC VPD (original) on ebay – highly recommended. Expensive but worth it IMO

ads678

Combined Knee/shin pads for DH only IMO.

Knee pads for Enduro/trail riding.

Nowt for bimbling.

As for which ones, get the ones that fit and are in budget. Places like CRC have free returns, or get down your local shop and try some on, but make sure you buy from there if you do this.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother personally . So that probably doesn’t help! Otherwise it’s best to get the ones that fit best

perchypanther
    Free Member

Troy Lee Panic?

£40 from Chain Reaction.

Saved me from a few “snakebites” from pedal slips.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-panic-knee-guards/rp-prod114565

mark90
    Free Member

While not the longest shin protection the TLD KG pads are worth a look….

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-kgl-5450-knee-shin-guards/rp-prod59944

Certainly one of the more comfortable pads I’ve tried on, bought POC’s as I didn’t want too much coverage.

rocketman
    Free Member

ime (I’ve got a box full of them) knee pads are like gloves and crash helmets you need to try loads before you find some you like

Comfort and protection tend to be mutually exclusive and one pair is not necessarily the best

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Knee/Shin pads for newbie’ is closed to new replies.