Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Knee&shin guards that cover the back of the leg?
  • SSBonty
    Free Member

Slightly random enquiry, my wife manages to fall off flat pedals from time to time and somehow let the pedals hit the back of her leg (DMR V12s so nothing wrong with the pedals!). Does anyone make a knee/shin guard combo that covers the back of the leg? The dainese she has at the moment are some weird fishnet material on the back and offer no protection at all, all it would require is some neoprene or similar, as I doubt anyone makes solid calf protection. It’s difficult from product pics to work out what might work, as you can’t see how much the back covers when on the leg. Any ideas? Thanks!

HermanShake
    Free Member

661 pads go all the way around. I think mine are ‘race lites’, which work pretty well.

guitarhero
    Free Member

My poc knee and shin pads came with a removable calf protector.

SSBonty
    Free Member

Thanks! The Poc ones look ace but are rather spendy! The 661 ones it’s difficult to tell from the pics as they only seem to show the front – are yours like this?

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=9855{2}274

Is there a gap between the left and right ‘wings’ when you put them on, as lots I’ve seen do that but few reach all the way around… (Or do you have v skinny legs so the two halves close? :-))

Rickos
    Free Member

If you can find some 661 Veggie shins they wrap right round pretty much. Only neoprene but enough to stop a pedal taking chunks out of your calf. Obviously you’d then need to get some knee pads too.

Lemony
    Free Member

Only neoprene but enough to stop a pedal taking chunks out of your calf

My calves can attest to the fact that this isn’t even remotely true. In fact even the plastic reinforced bit at the front isn’t enough to stop your shins getting trashed in a big off.

chakaping
    Free Member

What rickos said: 661 veggie shin guards combined with separate knee pads.

They fit fine with Fox Launch Pro knees (excellent) for example.

Rickos
    Free Member

Lemony – to be fair the Veggie series are only lightweight trail pads. If you’re a heavy crasher then you need to look at full on POCs or something.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How tall is your wife? I have some POC one’s that I’m prepare to sell… not worn very much at all…

nickjb
    Free Member

I wear 661 4x4s. They are only a lightweight XC pad but they have a full layer of material round the bach. Its not very thick but its just enough to take the sting out of pedal/calf accidents.

dis0rientati0n
    Free Member

+1 for the POC bone VPD knee/shin. I wear them all the time now on the bike. Only downside is the design at the back is a bit stupid as the calf guard sometimes pops out at the side, leaving a flappy bit that can get caught on your bike etc., requiring you to pull the strap back over the calf guard. Despite that, these are easily the best pads I’ve owned as you don’t really notice them on long rides. Even after wearing for several days in a row, there’s no issue, whereas my friend wearing 661 pads had bleeding knees after day 4.

Mine do have a big crack on the very top lip of the plastic from an inconspicious off after a tabletop, but rather that than my knees – which are made of glass anyway.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Dainese 4X pads cover most of the back of the leg too.

SSBonty
    Free Member

TSY – think they only do large or small, we’re after small (she’s 5’6) – which are yours? 🙂

Everyone else, thanks again for all the info, looks like there are plenty of possibilities!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Knee&shin guards that cover the back of the leg?’ is closed to new replies.