Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • knee/shin guard advice
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I’m re-assessing my protection at the moment (yes after falling off and landing on the not-covered bits).

I’ve got some knee pads -hard shell- and I’m happy with them, but looking at getting some with shin protection.

So… I like the idea of complete shin protection, but I’m thinking I only need short length shin protectors?

Any one with any advice? Any one wish they got full length guards after buying short ones and vice versa?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

After my accident last week, see other threads, I ordered a set of Troy Lee’s 5450 knee/shin pads – am watching the office door in hope of the CRC delivery! Recommended by friends and desired by my v sore knee! these will replace my bulky 661’s

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-kg-5450-knee-shin-guards/rp-prod59944

apparently you need to follow the size guide carefully.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

The only time I’ve used knee-shins before buying my knee-only pads were a borrowed pair off a mate in the alps. They slipped down, I fell off and ended up getting stitches in the exposed top of my knee. I now only wear the aforementioned bulky 661s, although the 2014 rage I now have aren’t as bulky as the old ones.

If you’re dead set on a pair then read a lot of reviews and make absolutely sure you’re getting the right size. IMO they will always slip down a bit more than knee-only pads because they aren’t fastened as securely under the knee. If you’re just looking at them as protection against pedal strikes there’s always thin soft shin pads you can put on with separate knee pads.

chip
    Free Member

I have the 5450s also, stay in place and super comfy.
    I could not ask for more really.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve read lots of comments about shin/knee combo’s slipping down.

I’m really happy with my IXS Mallet’s so perhaps separate shin guards will be the way forward.

Cheers for the replies.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My friends tell me the 5450’s don’t slip, they are non adjustable (sort of) so stay on hence why the size guide is important.

My parcel did not arrive 😥 will have to wait till tomorrow.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘knee/shin guard advice’ is closed to new replies.