Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Kneen SSCX
  • xcmuttley
    Free Member

Hi all!
    This is the first bike built by my own two hands,
    Thanks to Downland cycles (Invicta Frameworks) for the teaching, MSP autopaint for the paintwork, Geoff Moorhouse for the headtube badge, Bicis Y Mas the bike shop I have the pleasure of working at and to everyone else that helped in the process.

Frame was made from a mix of Reynolds 853 and Columbus Life,

Spec list:
    Headset: Hope 1 1/8th Purple
    Stem: Thomson 90mm
    Handlebars: Ritchey Comp Evo Max
    Levers: Cane Creek scr-5
    Brakes: Avid Shorty Ultimate
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    Saddle: San Marco Regale
    Wheelset: (Built by myself at Bicis Y Mas)
    Hub: Surly Ultra
    Rims: H PLUS SON Archetype
    Spokes: DT swiss competition
    Nipples: DT swiss prolock
    Tyres: Challenge Grifo (Set up tubeless)
    Crankset: Miche Syntium HSP 39t
    Chain: DID 1/8th Chain
    Freewheel: Token 16t freewheel
    Pedals: Crankbrothers Candy

Extras:
    Bottle cage: King Cage Iris
    Bartape: Cinelli Gel cork tape
    Surly cable hanger

I hope you all like it, will be the first of many!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks ace, but needs more mud.

And those pedals will last about 3 months in the aforementioned mud.

simondbarnes

Nice 🙂

TiRed

Lovely. Do you notice a difference in brake feel due to the different straddle wire angles. I like the Surly rear hanger but it’s sold out and looks a little long compared with the front.

belugabob
    Free Member

Very nice.
    Assembling a bike from parts is tremendously satisfying, so build one from scratch must be bloody marvellous.

@TiRed – the caliper arms are at different t angles, front & back – would this compensate for the different straddle wire lengths?

jameso

Really like that.

TiRed

Yes that does change the characteristics. Hadn’t spotted that in the first picture.

cyclistm
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The shorter the straddle, the more power you get, the longer the more modulation.

Longer front = less chance of a lockup.

IIRC cantilever angle (the different styles of the actual cantilever levers) doesn’t impact on power in quite the same way, hence why shimano never made mid/wide profile cantibrakes.

If it works like that then stick with it, if it doesn’t then I’d reduce the straddle length.

2tyred

Beautiful paintjob. Bike looks ace.

xcmuttley
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback! Long story short it hasn’t been ridden yet due an ongoing on again off again illness. Made the framebuilding a little harder to say the least but I will adapt things to accommodate myself in the future. Hoping to be able to ride the bike in a few weeks time.

I think I’ve been really lucky with crank bros, Ive ridden the same pedals on my mountain over a few years and still running smooth haha.

As they are currently set up the brakes feel spot on, obviously that might change when I get on it but will keep you all updated!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Kneen SSCX’ is closed to new replies.