Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • knee woes again
  • yunki
    Free Member

I am getting pain that starts in my ‘outside hamstring tendon’ right behind the knee after intense exercise..
    The pain can then migrate to other parts of the knee, and is prolonged and made much worse by carrying the kids

It generally eases off after a week or so, but returns again at the next bout of exercise..
    Even if I rest it for a month or so it returns..

I’ve had an MRI scan with no luck.. any ideas..?

tinribz
    Free Member

I started doing a bit of jogging, seemed to help a little. That and pushing harder with the other leg. Also seat further forward.

bearnecessities

Kinda obvious, but I guess you’ve considered ditching the SPDs if you use them? I used them for years, then after a break of many years and returning to them, they suddenly starting wrecking my knees; referred pain everywhere which would then re-occur during a range of activities, even just walking sometimes.

Wasn’t foot/pedal alignment etc, best sports-physio guess was that the pulling upward action was the major contributory factor in my case.

Only switching to flats stopped it, still got pains for months afterwards but eventually stopped.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve always ridden flats except for a strange and bewilderingly frightening three weeks last year..

There is an old injury in the knee somewhere, but it was never treated and has been lingering for a couple of years or more now..

There has been some progress tonight though..
    It’s been painful the last couple of days after I overdid it on a ride on good friday.. I’m planning to get out again for a few hours tomorrow but don’t really like to ride on it when it’s sore as I’ve tried MTFU on it and always end up much worse off..

sooooooo… I just tried a few hamstring stretches earlier on the off chance and the pain has eased up considerably..

So I’m thinking now maybe it’s a shortened tendon perhaps after the original injury..?

maybe.. 😕

I’m so sick of this

mikewsmith
    Free Member

find somebody who can do a biomechanical assessment of you walking jogging, running, sat on a turbo trainer on your bike.

Got a mate who does this and spotted a few things with me that need correcting. (not a massive plug but seems like a good idea) He is based warwickshire if your interested.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Iliotibial band syndrome?

wiki link

If not I would suggest seeing a good osteopath. I can recommend one if you live in Suffolk?

yunki
    Free Member

I’m in Devon..

We’ve just moved to a new district so going to try to get a new NHS referral for a second opinion before we spend the kids college fund..

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

My experience with NHS physio was pretty poor. It took 3 months before they even acknowledged the referral from GP. I’d been diagnosed with groin strain (leave it). Got a recommendation from a colleague for a private osteopath and she soon worked out it was my lower back. Cost £35 per session – think I had 4-5 sessions. Well worth it compared to sitting about.

You can often treat Illiotibal bands yourself. You can use a 2 litre coke bottle rather than a foam roller. Hurts though…..!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also just back from my physio after my knee thing flared up (last minute appointment) a good examination and plenty of testing stuff. Came up with a reason for the issues but the fix is going to more difficult.

I could google the problem get a list of exercises and do them, it wouldn’t fix the issue. There is not much of a substitute for hands on examination. Some NHS routes are better than others. If it’s taking a long time find somebody local through reccomendation.

Mugboo

At 42 i have just started running as well as cycling. I believe that stretching is the answer. If I get pain, stretching (every day) definately helps.
    Google runners knee and trawl through the stretches and as above look for IT band streches.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘knee woes again’ is closed to new replies.