• This topic has 20 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Knee warmers
  • sandwicheater

Are they all pretty much the same?

Cold nights will be drawing in. I could do with a pair.

These Gore ones seem half descent (well, by that i mean cheap);

http://52.19.105.128/products/gore-bike-wear/universal-thermo-knee-warmer-ec067445

Anything much better for not much more? Will be for road and mtb.

slowjo
    Free Member

I have a pair of Endura ones that have been ok. A bit like leg warmers, the problem with knee warmers is that they sometimes fail to grip that well and can be prone to sliding down your legs (especially if the grippers on your shorts aren’t that good any more). I have also found that soimne brands have seams in the wrong place and can be uncomfortable.

The Endura ones are ok…that’s about it. I wouldn’t rush out to buy another pair but these are now in their 4th winter….well, they soon will be!

tang
    Free Member

I like Castelli nano flex.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve Rapha ones, which are great, but the DHB ones from Wiggle at £15 look ok?

Clicky thingy

brakes
    Free Member

I would say so. pick a price/ brand/ colour/ thickness you like and go with that.
    not sure if any of them are any good if you’re not wearing lycra shorts to keep them up.
    top tip – wet (lick) the gripper on them before you put them on to help them stick to your legs.

40mpg

I have some Craft ones I got cheap on ebay years ago, warm enough, good grippers (never fall down), just the job.

Generally anything described as ‘Roubaix’ will be thicker and warmer, avoid just lycra ones as they may be too thin to be much benefit

iainc

if it’s for off road riding, the Raceface Charge ones are great, with a little padding too, which is handy for jaggy bushes and gravel 🙂

Wouldn’t wear them on the road in daylight tho….. !

everyone
    Free Member

I’ve got some on one merino ones and they’re a great fit for me. They seem to be reasonable quality as well which is nice!

lunge

They’re all much of a muchness in my experience so I tend to spend very little on them. At the moment I’m liking the On-One Merino and the Merlin Wear jobs. Both are perfectly good, I prefer the On-One’s in truth, they’re very comfortable and quite long for those of us that are long limbed.

sandwicheater

Thanks all. Being a lanky devil, I’ll get some of those on-one merino jobbies. £10 is better than i thought i’d get a pair for.

Cheers one and all.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

They’re definitely not all of a muchness, especially those Gore ones, which are shite. I got the Gore ones as they were cheap. They are really tight, ie difficult to actually put on…. then they fall down when in use. No idea how they manage that particular trick. I keep meaning to send them back, but never get round to it.

I’ve also got some simple fleece ones from Biemmie, which are perfect.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No, definitely not! Loads of different fabrics, thicknesses, fit. I’ve quite a variety of warmers for different conditions. I don’t tend to wear knee warmers that much, usually just go for full length leg warmers, but when I do it’s usually my Craft 3D ones. Not too thick, not too thin, nice fit.

brooess
    Free Member

I recommend buying in your LBS rather than online as fit is really important – as per above references about too tight or too loose + getting the appropriate weight as well.
    I’ve just bought some Assos which are super comfortable but have yet to use them in anger. My Endura knee warmers I use for commuting are good but the F260 leave my thighs sore – the grippers are a bit harsh!
    I have some Lusso arm warmers which I bought 10 years ago and are still my go to for comfort and warmth for commuting… I’m too much of a snob to wear them on a club run 🙂

STL

Big fan of the Craft brand kneewarmers. They fit well & even if it warms up they seem to regulate temperature well. Autumn essential.

nedrapier

got some Spesh ones. fleecey front, lycra back. I like ’em.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve found them NOT all to be much of a muchness. I have some Shimano and Castelli ones but had some cheap ones before which stretched really quickly and started to slide. If in doubt get a size slightly smaller than you think as baggy sliding arm/knee warmers are no use.

hammerite
    Free Member

Had Polaris ones (baggy as anything). So got some Santini ones, very nice. Order from Prendas because they’re great.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve ended up with a few pairs. Worst of the bunch by a country mile are the enduras. Thick and tight, yet don’t stay put. Best are some Vermarc, had to buy some randomly in Belgium and got these as they were cheap. But they’re great, properly tailored with panels of different thicknesses. Plain old tubular merinos are nice as well.

akira

Castelli nanoflex if you want something water resistant, otherwise I’ve had one specialized ones that were good and the next ones I got were dreadful.

gozarch
    Free Member

I have the Sportful No Rain and they have been really good. Grippy, toasty warm and it has to be persistent hammering rain before they absorb water.

TiRed

I have a set of Gore Windstopper knee warmers. They are excellent and I would replace them in a heartbeat if they were damaged in a crash. They fit perfectly and never slip. Mine are sized Small.

http://www.goreapparel.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-oxygen-so-knee-warmers/AOXSOK,default,pd.html

Not particularly thermal, because by the time I need the insulation, I switch to Roubaix bib 3/4’s or long tights. The windstopper fabric is just right at the moment on cold mornings.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Knee warmers’ is closed to new replies.