Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Knee pain – help!
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

I’m currently touring, heading to Greece,, 1 week in, 3 more to go. It’s been windy (think 100km/h gusts) and it’s been pretty hard going.
    Rest day today in Zadar and the sun is shining, things could be worse.
    However, my knee is is in agony.
    Pain is on the top inside corner of my kneecap, when pressed, especially when bent. There’s no swelling and it’s not hot. It feels like I’ve clonked it on something hard, but I havent.
    Any ideas, other than drink beer for 3 weeks and fly to Athens?

ampthill

M hunch roughening of he back of the knee cap as the knee cap fails to track in it groove

Well that’s what happens to me.

Things that might help need checking

foot correctly aligned on pedal, cleat position

saddle not to low

tight hamstrings. When I toured I use to have to hamstring stretch alot

Loss of control of VMO. This the muscle above the knee on the inside. It kicks in as the leg staightens keeping the knee track in its groove. Stand with you finder on the muscle and your leg straight. Practive twitching it in burst of 6 twitches

PS You may need more help than an idiot (me) on the internet can provide

caspian
    Free Member

Pain is on the top inside corner of my kneecap, when pressed, especially when bent. There’s no swelling and it’s not hot. It feels like I’ve clonked it on something hard, but I havent.

These were my exact symptoms two weeks ago after an aggressive ride way longer than I was used to. Since then been working abroad (hence not riding) but a combination of rest, glucosamine tablets, aspirin and ibuprofen meant it is now plainless and yesterday I ran 10k on it without any pain.

Were I in your position I would take the train for a week’s worth of the predicted journey, take 3-4 days’ rest somewhere interesting, take the meds and start again slowly with a different saddle position. Again, not an expert by any means.

Good luck!

Northwind

Find an english speaking physio? Could be a longshot, I have no idea what the availability’s like but my place is pretty miraculous at getting me back on the bike. Could be worth a try, anyway, I’d written off the entire of tweedlove and the ews last year and 2 appointments had me back riding in days

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’ll do a second rest day and see how it goes I guess.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Knee pain – help!’ is closed to new replies.