Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Knee pain
  • bernard
    Free Member

I Know it’s been done loads but someone must have had the type I have and be able to give me an idea of what it is….usually ok, most pain on the upstroke of the pedal especially without any load also feels weak if I perform any type of lunge/squat. Day to day feel it most going upstairs…..any ideas?

wwaswas

whereabouts in the knee?

scaled
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t go to your GP.

That’s pretty much what NHS direct says anyway 😐

bernard
    Free Member

Hard to pin point the exact location/ describe it, other than to say inside the knee cap

Rockape63
    Free Member

Some form of inflammation probably. Doc rockape’s advice is ibuprofen for a couple of days, rest for a week and see where you are after that.

bernard
    Free Member

Oh think I have an idea of the cause if that will help the forum diagnosis … About 15 years ago i stress fractured my pelvis and had constant pain for about 3 years figured I may have created some imbalance or something

andyrm
    Free Member

Sounds like a meniscus tear. Get to the doctor – a scan will show it up.

bernard
    Free Member

Tried the rest thing it is a problem that has been ongoing for a few years just starting to get a bit worse

bernard
    Free Member

Andyyrm-have you had it? Is there a cure?

juanpelota
    Free Member

Could be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patellofemoral_pain_syndrome

Also look for exercises to strengthen the Vastus lateralis and medialis.

bernard
    Free Member

Might not be a bad shout that Juan seems to have got worse the last few years as the amount of riding I do has decreased, could be that as my leg muscles have decreased the stability/pain has become worse

therealhoops
    Free Member

Cat AIDS, early onset. Don’t worry it sounds like the good kind.

bails

If it’s the Patellofemoral thing as linked above then that seems to be an exact match for what I had, after being hit by a car.

The injuries caused by the crash took (are taking!) longer to heal because of the underlying weakness of my quads vs the muscles on the outside of the leg. My physio showed me how much my kneecap moved to one side as a result of this. If you sit on a bed with your legs straight, then tense your leg up as if you’re trying to press down with your knee. When you tense up, your kneecap should move straight ‘up’ towards your body, mine moved diagonally, up and ‘out’. Essentially, this is what was happening with each pedal stroke which causes irritation to the cartilage under the kneecap (which was already angry as a result of the crash).

Exercise wise, I was told to do squats and leg presses, being very careful to keep your knee in line with your big toes. Leg extensions, and a ‘body weight’ version of these where you lie down and then raise your leg up to around 30-45 degrees, and move it out to the side then hold it there for 30 seconds, you should feel it working the quads on the inside of your legs.

My knee is still not right, but these seem to be making a difference.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Knee pain’ is closed to new replies.